Painfully Slow MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NeedsLotsOfHelp, Apr 16, 2015.

1. NeedsLotsOfHelp macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read. I have a 2011 MacBook pro, my specs are:

MacBook Pro (13-inche, Early 2011)
    Processor 2.3 GHZ Intel Core i5
    Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk Macintosh HD
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Recently, over the past several OS updates, my MacBook has slowed to a complete crawl. It can take upwards of 5 minutes just to open or close any software. Websites can take minutes to load. Sometimes my text doesn't keep up with my typing. I get the pinwheel a lot. I'm sure you get the picture. Everything is SLOOOW. Once the applications open and I'm using them, things seem to be fine, however. It's usually when I go to open or close another application that the problems arise. Here's what I've tried:

SMC Reset
    Result - Faster boot times. Things are a TINY bit faster but still lag to an almost unusable degree.

I would be so grateful to anyone who could help. I'll be happy to provide any further information needed. Thanks again everyone!

2. blwade macrumors 6502

Sounds like first steps of HDD failure.

3. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Possibly. Is there a particular HDD you'd recommend I replace it with?

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

s - s - d

s - s - d

----------

Did I mention: SSD ?

5. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love SSD. Just worried about the cost. Also, is there a particular size (physical size, not HDD size) I should be getting?

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Don't buy an hdd!

Look at :apple: -> about this mac -> storage

Then look how much storage you are using.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- 2.5" SATA III drive at or below 9.5 mm thick.
    If you decide against an SSD and go with a traditional hard drive (which I wouldn't recommend), I'd recommend a Hitachi/HGST 7200 RPM drive. Hitachi has the lowest failure rate of any manufacturer.

An SSD will completely transform your computing experience.

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's 2015.
    I would not consider or even mention an hdd

9. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like about 100 gb free of 318 total.

----------

Awesome! Thanks so much for the specs. Any suggestions on where to find the best prices? NewEgg? Amazon?

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I agree completely that an HDD shouldn't be considered (hence my qualification). But since the OP specifically asked for a recommendation of one, I thought I'd be a good sport and answer his question. :)

- NewEgg is well-liked. But shop a bit around yourself. As for SSD brands, Samsung and Crucial are generally the top recommended ones. Look into the Samsung 850 EVO and 850 Pro (best SSD currently on the market, but expensive) and Crucial MX200.

11. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks guys! I appreciate it. One final question, does it make sense to upgrade this old MacBook with the SSD? Will I still be able to get good life out of it and see the benefits of an SSD?

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Most definitely. Your machine (same vintage as mine) supports the latest SATA standard, so you'll be able to take full advantage of all modern SATA SSDs.

If you're on a budget, the Crucial BX100 is a reasonably good choice as well in terms of performance, so long as you go for at least the 250 GB version.

I promise you you won't believe the speed increase once you have your new SSD installed. It's that extreme.

13. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly, I cannot thank everybody enough! Thanks for all of your time and help. I'll be ordering an SSD today! Thanks again!

14. sonspot macrumors member

Sounds like your problem is not fixed yet, you have 100GB free so its nothing to do with hard drive..

Was there liquid spill? click on about this mac, make sure you're seeing the full 4gb of ram, even if you see it click on memory and make sure its showing there too.. my 2010 13" MBP runs faster with 1gb of ram than what you're describing.. If all is fine backup and do a clean install.

15. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

What are you talking about? Hard drives can fail even if they have tons of free space...

16. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. All memory is showing. No liquid spills of any kind. I have noticed it start to get faster since the SMC reset. Maybe I should cancel my order for the SSD? It was 200 all in for the BX100 500.

17. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Unfortunately some people live on lower/limited incomes and may not have the option of an SSD on cost - where an HDD wins hands down.

----------

Are you running Mavericks or Yosemite? A better route would be to look in Activity Monitor and post screenshots of both cpu and ram tabs so we can see what your machine is spending its time doing...you may not need an SSD or even a new HDD, you may have a simple issue that can be fixed for free, you may have an issue that will propagate to your ned HDD/SSD and need fixing anyway...

18. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

How would I go about finding that? I'm running Yosemite but the issue has been since Mavericks. I'll post the screen shot after my time machine backup finishes. I assume that would skew results.

19. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

open Spotlight and type "activity monitor", hit enter, the screenshot the CPU and Memory tabs with the usage column sorted with the highest CPU or memory usage at the top.

Post them here then we can see what is wrong with your Ford instead of just suggesting putting a Ferrari engine in it is the best thing :cool:

20. NeedsLotsOfHelp thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://imgur.com/zXFtdD9,SwMOj15

21. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can only see the CPU shot, stop running Chrome and see if Safari runs better (Chrome is a known resource hog), I'm not familiar with Plex but he plethora of instances running may indicate a problem.

Ram tab indicates you are swapping quite a bit, which to an HDD will be slow. How full is you HDD?

Three options, add SSD or add more RAM, or run less apps together.

Try running less and see if performance improves, then you can look at the cost of upgrade.

To give you an idea, my 11 MBA with 4GB and a 64GB SSD - its difficult to tell when it starts swapping as the delay is tiny to the SSD.

Hope that helps. Suspect your reset helping was a slight red herring, it was the reboot that helped I suspect.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

If you are willing to give up storage space, an ssd will cost the same as an hdd.

----------

You are running chrome.
    Don't do that!

I recommend you stick with the ssd upgrade that was suggested for you in the beginning.

23. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Right. In the same way that Manhattan real estate will cost the same as a house in rural Kentucky if you're willing to give up some space. ;)

24. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

How so? Cheapest SSD I can source locally a reasonable NZ$143 - smallest available is currently 120GB, meanwhile I can get a 500GB HDD from the same supplier for oh NZ$75 so sorry, even with that back-flip SSDs are not available for HDD money - and if they want to keep selling them HDD makers will have to ensure there IS a good like for like differential because of the speed difference.

That is also without having to buy an external HDD and/or caddy to enable the 380GB drop in internal capacity through installed an SSD...so it would actually cost (assuming you have a 500GB internal and re-use it in a caddy), NZ$143+25=NZ$168 when an HDD could be bought for NZ$75...in OP's case he may have a terminal HDD so he would need to spend NX$143+25+75=NZ$243 instead of NZ$75...

----------

LOL yep ;) see my maths example, SSD is still 3x the cost of an HDD in the OP's situation...even if you give up the onboard space...

25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They are more expensive...

However they don't break the bank anymore and that extra $100 will be the best computing dollars you ever spent!!!