Painfully slow...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by talkingmac, Jul 12, 2007.

1. talkingmac macrumors newbie

I'm new to this forum and am hoping you'll be able to help me. We are new Mac users who purchased a MacBookPro about 4 months ago through apple.com. We LOVE it and have had no problems until the last couple of days. Safari is lagging and is painfully slow (think DIAL UP!). It's also frozen and we've had to force quit a couple of times. Any suggestions? I reset Safari to no avail and have no clue what to try next, but I'm ready to throw this beautiful machine out the window....help! Thanks in advance for your assistance!

2. Mac21ND macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

Good question.

My first advice is to make sure all your software is up to date. The Software Update application should automatically try to download the newest versions of any Apple software each week. You can also manually do this by going to the Apple Menu (top left corner of the screen) and click on "Software Update."

Sometimes software updates can help refresh (for lack of a better word) the operating system in general. Usually you'll here people say, "wow, feels snappier!" or something silly like that after updating.

The problem with internet slowness is it's hard telling if it's the browser, computer, or internet connection. Could be a number of things, but I would give the software update a try first and see what happens. If not, I'm sure someone more technical in this forum will have an answer. Good luck, glad you're enjoying your Mac!

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, do the above. If that doesn't help, start surfing and open up the activity monitor (user>applications>utilities>activity monitor) and see what your in/out speed is and make sure you don't have any other programs running of the net as well (bittorrent etc.) that could be making it run slow.

Another idea, not telling you to switch browsers or that another is better, but it's always nice to have another browser available to double check and see if it's Safari or your internet connection.

4. talkingmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions. I double checked software updates (no new available) and quit all activities not in use to no avail. It's not the wireless connection because my husband's laptop he uses for work (Dell) has no lagging issues. Any other suggestions? One thing I've noticed is some pages lag longer than others. Google is our home page and it will usually go back to that fairly quick when lagging elsewhere.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Did you update to Safari 3??
    Either way I would uninstall Safari and reinstall Safari 2 and see if that helps.
    If not, then try using a different browser.

EDIT: Yeah, try as below, I totally skipped the "wireless" part. My bad.

6. pjac macrumors regular

Just because the Dell laptop wireless works, doesn't meant there isn'ts a problem with your Apple's wireless reception/setup. But at least the wireless router is fine.

Can you try using Safari with a wired (ethernet) connection instead of the wireless?

If its still slow then you can probably rule out an issue with the wireless.

7. talkingmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried a wired connection....same results. How do I uninstall Safari?

8. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

One more thing to try before uninstalling Safari. Log on as a different user (create one in account preferences if you don't have another one) and use Safari from that account to see if it's working under the new user.

If it works fine under the new user then:
    go to user>applications>utilities>disk utility click the volume you've got OSX installed on and then repair permissions.

If it still goes slow, then:

Before starting you need your OSX install disk -- that's the only place you'll find the Safari 2 install.

Next, drag all safari.app programs into the trash (it should only be in the Application folder) and restart.

Put in your OSX install disk (DO NOT DO A REINSTALL OF THE SYSTEM BTW), find Safari and install it.

If you still have problems, post again or try downloading another browser - if it's possible to download one at your current speed.