OS Neutral Painkiller Hell & Damnation released for Mac & 80% Off

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by N19h7m4r3, May 28, 2014.

1. N19h7m4r3, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

Another great day for Mac gamers everywhere! Especially if you’re a fan of old school
    first person shooters that don’t go easy on you, and certainly bring the pain!

Out of no where Painkiller Hell & Damnation suddenly appeared on the Steam news pop-up, not only is it now on the Mac, but it’s also currently 80% off. A phenomenal price of only €3.99.

In the game you are essentially Heaven's hitman, charged with cleansing the world of hell’s filthy denizens.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214870/

Gameplay First Impressions

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Definitely worth it for $4. Nice to see it has Linux and Steam Workshop support as well.

3. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Note that Painkiller HD for OS X is currently in beta. I was able to get it to run on my 2011 Mac mini with a dedicated graphics card by forcing the game into a window. If I didn't do so, the game tried to run in my monitor's native resolution, despite the game's resolution settings. It runs fine on medium settings, too.

4. Hintze macrumors member

anybody know how to get up the fps counter that is supposedly in the game?
    writing "showfps 1" in the console does nothing.

5. insane79 macrumors 6502

games looks decent, any idea if it supports the x360 gamepad?

Thanks..

6. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

7. Washac, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

How do I get the DLC, choose at the Game start menu but nothing happens ?

8. N19h7m4r3 thread starter macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

It's a separate purchase on steam, although not sure if it's implemented for the Mac client yet.

9. Washac, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks, great game if you have had a bad day, brings back big memories of Doom.

Runs superb in fullscreen and with a controller which is my weapon of choice :)

Edit: Since posting this I am now getting laggy loading, cannot get into full screen, and random crashes at start up which also brings down steam, but then it is a beta I suppose.

10. N19h7m4r3 thread starter macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

It really is, it's super fun! It does need some work, especially extra optimisations, but all that's coming I'm sure. :)

11. insane79 macrumors 6502

yes i got third party drivers & my x360 wireless controller works with feral games, just wondering if it will work on this game, anyone tried it?

Thanks..

12. Madd the Sane, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

I actually tried it last night and it works. I also discovered why many FPS players prefer the mouse and keyboard combination.

13. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Works for me :)

14. insane79 macrumors 6502

thanks for the confirmation :rolleyes:

15. smoketetsu, May 30, 2014
    Last edited: May 30, 2014

smoketetsu macrumors member

smoketetsu

Yeah, the swamp area leading up to the orphanage was especially a killer on my system. But I'm sure they will fix it and once it comes out of beta it'll be just fine.

BTW, I watched your video and I've seen the textures looking better than I see there. You should check your options because I'm pretty damned sure I've seen better on my own system. Painkiller H&D defaulted to medium to me. On the other hand the grim reaper doesn't seem to get much better... :p

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28944/Painkiller/Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 4.25.03 AM.png

On the other hand I have noticed some textures actually looking better on the original version of the game Painkiller Black. :p (that grim reaper guy wasn't one of those things though he's brand new here)

H&D: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28944/Painkiller/PKHD_01.png

original: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28944/Painkiller/PKB_58.jpg

(I loved effects the original had such as refraction in the glass which H&D lacks)

I tried to enable antialiasing at least by the .ini file here but it doesn't seem to be a thing for this game. The engine .ini file has references to temporal antialiasing and MLAA though. When I played it in parallels it of course didn't have it there either but I blamed that on the fact that parallels doesn't have multisample support and even post process antialiasing like MLAA or FXAA hinges on that support being available.

In the original painkiller games I could turn up to 6xMSAA which looks really smooth espeically at 2560x1440. :)

Also, I hope they update the sound to support multichannel as that's one thing I miss on it compared to playing it in parallels. The sound panning in stereo mode seems pretty bad too.

However, even at this state it plays better than it did there (on parallels).. on there I had more stuttering going on because parallels for example only lets me use about half of my VRAM at any given time.

By the way for the people who mentioned gamepads.. I have a wireless x360 pad here too (mine's a custom one with custom faceplate and evil controller backplate, and custom colored buttons) and use it for many games. Particularly ones that are third person, or side scrolling. But I still insist on using keyboard and mouse for FPS games. :)

16. N19h7m4r3 thread starter macrumors 65816

N19h7m4r3

I actually do have it maxed, how odd.

Although its amazing how good the original can look when tweaked.
    I'll have to mess around a tad more when I get to play it again.