Paint mac pro / powermac G5 chasis?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by asdfjkl, Jul 9, 2009.

1. asdfjkl macrumors newbie

Hi I'm wanting to buy a used lower spec mac tower, and fix it up as a little project :)

Aside from the typical upgrades one might do, I would love to have the case painted.

I was wondering, it possible to take the chasis apart into pieces? (after gutting it of course) What holds these things together? Rivets? Something I'd need a specialty tool for?

Or perhaps it cant be done? :(

THANK YOU

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I think it were a crying shame to paint the Mac Pro/Power Mac case. It is designed in such a way that the aluminium surface gives a nice and very robust finish. No paint will give that kind of performance.

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno... I could see doing some silk-screening on it. Might be cool if done with more taste than tack.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Hmm, I wonder if painting go-faster stripes would improve performance.

5. asdfjkl thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be doing this to a beat up machine (scratches scuffs worn out finish). I am SPECIFICALLY looking for a mess of a computer. If the exterior were nice I probably wouldn't touch it. But the point is......it's fix-up project.

and what kind of project would it be, if I can't paint the fixed up hot rod? :D

No it might not be an apple finish, but it would be of very high quality and done by a professional.

6. MaCnation macrumors newbie

OOH OOH OOH, naws stickers and underglows!:D

7. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

I have heard of some people going to a car painting shop with the Mac Pro chassis and asking them to paint it for them, however this may void it's warrantee, the paint may wear off if it is not the right type and this may be very expensive.
    King Mook Mook