Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfjkl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Hi I'm wanting to buy a used lower spec mac tower, and fix it up as a little project :)

Aside from the typical upgrades one might do, I would love to have the case painted.

I was wondering, it possible to take the chasis apart into pieces? (after gutting it of course) What holds these things together? Rivets? Something I'd need a specialty tool for?

Or perhaps it cant be done? :(

THANK YOU

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I think it were a crying shame to paint the Mac Pro/Power Mac case. It is designed in such a way that the aluminium surface gives a nice and very robust finish. No paint will give that kind of performance.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
I dunno... I could see doing some silk-screening on it. Might be cool if done with more taste than tack.

asdfjkl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
I think it were a crying shame to paint the Mac Pro/Power Mac case. It is designed in such a way that the aluminium surface gives a nice and very robust finish. No paint will give that kind of performance.

I would be doing this to a beat up machine (scratches scuffs worn out finish). I am SPECIFICALLY looking for a mess of a computer. If the exterior were nice I probably wouldn't touch it. But the point is......it's fix-up project.

and what kind of project would it be, if I can't paint the fixed up hot rod? :D

No it might not be an apple finish, but it would be of very high quality and done by a professional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.