Paint My Macbook???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by veo321, May 30, 2009.

1. veo321 macrumors regular

veo321

I Have a White Macbook and I'm looking to paint it custom, and I want the job done well I have found one site http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-30-macbook.aspx , but this costs a minimum of $450 , I:m looking for a minimum of $200 to spend , but if thats the only one then I'm stuck if anyone knows a cheaper way that doesnt involve me doing it then that would be great!
    ~Thanks :)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I know there were a few threads about this in the past with good results

You could try MRoogle to search and find them. I'm sure they will have some quick suggestions and recommendations for you.

Good luck! Any ideas on colors, etc.?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

pffft, those fancy companies with their "professional grade" paint jobs don't know SQUAT! back in my day if we wanted a colored computer we did it ourselves! they looked like crap but at least we knew we were MEN!

awww snap, i went there.

as for the helpful part of this post, that's the only company i've seen that does it and they look like they do a daammnn good job. i love how you can paint different parts of the computer different colors.

4. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Personalize with stickers. Or, get a small airbrush and let your creativity flow.

Or, go to a local university and make it an art challenge for a few students.

5. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

I think thats a awesome idea I will probably not do it my self but that would be a great challenge for some students (unless they screw it up) , but yeah I think thats a good idea!

6. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

If you're comfortable completely disassembling, I'd imagine an auto-body place would paint it for you for a reasonable price.

Or completely disassemble and find a friend with a compressor and spray gun and buy some quality auto paint and do it yourself.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Even better, check this out. You can get full notebook skins specifically to fit the Macbook. They're like $25.00 U.S. and a large variety. This way you won't damage your notebook with a shoddy or expensive paint job. If you don't like the skin you can take it off or change to something else.
    http://www.decalgirl.com/browse.cfm/4,17773.htm

8. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

I agree. Not to bust your bubble or anything, but are you going to be selling your MacBook a few years down the line?

I ask because custom colors can hurt your resale value just as much as it can help, if not more so, especially more offbeat colors and designs.

That and I personally can't justify paying $450 for a paintjob when I can put it towards more tangible upgrades such as bigger/faster HDD or more RAM.

At least with the Speck SeeThru that I have, if I don't like the color anymore, I can just get a new one for $30 as opposed to having to pay another $450 for a new paintjob. Or if a potential buyer feels that a particular color isn't what they had in mind, then no problem, just take the SeeThru off and change it out.

My point being, I personally think that there are better ways to spend $450, but if style takes precedence over substance in your case, or if you intend to keep this machine until it croaks, than I can't argue.

9. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I have UMB, I brought speck black case and added a couple apple stickers to it. What you can do is buy a clear case, and get that painted, because you may wake up one day and not like your paint macbook. If that happens just pop that case right off. :p

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hmm... I was wondering if paint on an aluminum macbook would interfere with heat dissipation? Or would the paint blister if it's over an especially warm part of the body?

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I'm rolling on the floor... keep it coming! :D:D

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you're looking to spend a minimum of $200, then doesn't $450 meet that requirement? :confused::confused::confused:

13. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

you could get a speck case and have that custom painted. That way you can take it off if need be when sold and possibly use it on your new computer if you end up getting the same model (although unlikely bc models change and usually people go a diff. rout)

14. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Krylon makes some great colors and isint spray painting our macbooks ourselves what we all have in mind they can be purchased for about 10 dollars at your local hardware store

I think colorware is your best option though but decals might not be a bad idea

15. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

i did this to a white ibook. the polycarbonate plastic is painted on the inside. if a little isopropyl alcohol and some cotton wool, you can remove the white paint and do you own job. it's easy. i did a chocolate and caramel check and then painted it white again to send to applecare. that's how easy it is to do a decent job that apple didn't even comment.

16. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

So you could have a see through macbook by doing that?

17. melchior macrumors 65816

melchior

sure, i had mine 'naked' for a while. it's not exactly aesthetically pleasing, but it is different.

another thought is in japan they used to sell replacement lids in fancy patterns, so if you could manage a couple of torx screws you could have a leopard print or zebra or camouflage... these are likely on ebay. DIY is so much more satisfying though. :rolleyes:

18. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

A little off topic but I use to have an all aluminum mountain bike that I use to shine once in awhile. Do you guys think you could polish a UMB and make it look like a mirror?