iPad mini Paint rubbing off black iPad mini. Discoloration

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Javiayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Javiayer macrumors newbie

I just pulled my iPad out of my backpack and all of a sudden there were white marks of discoloration or fading. They're not scratches and there was no misuse or mistreatment.
    Is this normal? It's also refurbished. Do you guys think apple will replace it? It's only 2 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Is it that much of an issue?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Get ghost armor to protect the back or some sort of case.

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Man, first the screen, now the back?

I hope they learn from their stupid mistakes on the 2nd generation. :rolleyes:

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

So I put my iPad on the concrete floor and dragged it 10 feet and now it's scratched… damn apple! Why does it have to scratch with use!?!?!? They better fix this in the 2nd generation!

6. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Ha ha, nice try, but the OP said that there was no misuse or mistreatment. You should be able to carry it around in a backpack without the freaking paint rubbing off, which is what it looks like from the pics.

7. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Clearly marks from the ipad coming into contact with another surface.

Electronics used to have little bumps on the back / bottom to prevent this.

8. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

It's called wear and tear. Just look around you at all the crap you have that does not look new anymore. The only way to "slow down" wear and tear is to keep your gear fully protected with a case. And even that will not guarantee a new appearance. Why complain if you don't use a case? Apple did not create a special wear proof paint process just for the iPad.

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

wait till Apple do a glass front/back like I4 for the ipad mini 2 then discoloration will never happen again.

10. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the latest styling with the iPhone 5 and iPad Mini just wreaks of the complaints that people had with the iPod Nano scratching, and knicking, rubbing wear, you name it. remember that fiasco?

11. poloponies macrumors 68030

First of all, there's no "paint" on the back, it's an anodized finish. Second of all, the iPad does not operate outside the rules of physics. If he's putting it in a backpack as the only item in there then maybe he has a fair gripe, but I suspect there are books or items other than the iPad in there causing the iPad to rub up against surfaces and eroding the finish through friction. That's how the physical world works. I take good care of my wallet, but inserting and removing it from the pocket of my jeans will cause wear marks regardless of how careful I am.

12. trssho macrumors 6502

Ive had similar markings. usually a little soap and water will clean it off. That coating is very stout!

13. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I saw on here somewhere little rubber feet you could stick on to prevent this. On my (full-size) iPads we have a plastic cover that prevents scratches. Had them since day one. Mind you they never leave the house either!

14. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I bought mine on launch day and been using it continuously about eight hours a day to search for properties I have no marks or wear issues so I'm not sure what's causing it.