Pair Apple Watch to Restored iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by makotoisle, Nov 3, 2015.

1. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I've recently had a spot of trouble with my iCloud backups and was forced to jump through several hoops to retrieve some corrupted pictures from an old iCloud backup. Long story short, my iPhone/Apple Watch were back-upped on iCloud/iTunes yesterday morning. I went all day using the Watch as normal without access to my phone: workouts, etc.

This morning, I've restored my iPhone from yesterday's backup, however, I keep getting told that I must repair the Apple Watch. I'm under the impression that this is going to reset the Apple Watch to yesterday's backup, as well. It's not a tremendously huge deal, but it would be rather inconvenient to lose all of yesterday's health and workout data that I've accumulated since, especially because it would mean I can't get a perfect month in November.

Any suggestions?

2. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The best process when dealing with the phone backups now that we have watches to consider is to unpair the watch prior to running the backup and restore of the phone. Reason is to force your watch to backup first and be included in the phone backup. iCloud backup will do this but I prefer running an encrypted backup (must be encrypted to capture health data) prior to a reset via iTunes. If you're being asked to pair your watch again you have a good chance of losing activity data but it most likely needs to be completed due to your restoring the phone. Unpair, let the watch backup, and pair it again selecting the backup you just made in the process and hope for the best. Check your Activity app prior to see if the data has copied over or if you can get it to copy over prior to the unpair and pair. If you do see everything in Activity prior to this unpair and pair you have a good chance of being ok for the month. Good luck and keep in mind the watch when considering the phone going forward since the watch is now dependent on the phone environment too.

3. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I think you may be stuck no matter what. The watch is a slave to the phone, and the two are out of phase. If you pair the watch and phone and restore the watch, I am pretty sure that it will wipe the watch and reload to yesterday's watch backup. But you have one try at an experiment that might work-- you could set the watch up as a new device. In that case, maybe it would keep the watch's memory and add it to the phone's Activity app from yesterday's backup. Then, your pain would be setting up the watch and app layout all over again.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I am afraid your perfect month may be in jeopardy.

5. papbot macrumors 6502

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you used the watch for activity without having your phone nearby so it never got a chance to sync that data over for that day. If that's the case then you probably will lose that one day's data. However it would only be that day, all data from previous days get restored to the phone if you're using encrypted backups or restore from iCloud. That's how it went for me in getting a new phone.

However if you are able to now un-pair the watch with the phone nearby, a backup for the watch gets created at that moment so when you go to pair again you will do it from that just created backup which should get the that day's data back on the watch. At that point that data may get synced back to the apps on the phone.