Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Two brothers have been found guilty of killing 10-year-old schoolboy Damilola Taylor.

Danny and Rickie Preddie, aged 18 and 19, were cleared earlier this year of murder and assault, but a jury could not agree on a manslaughter charge.

But in a retrial, an Old Bailey jury has convicted the brothers from Peckham, south London, of manslaughter.

Damilola was found bleeding to death from a leg wound in the stairwell of a Peckham housing estate in 2000.

Pair guilty of killing Damilola - BBC

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
1) Why did it take six years to sort this all out? I thought justice was only glacial in this country.

2) Does British law provide for wrongful death suits?

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
CorvusCamenarum said:
1) Why did it take six years to sort this all out? I thought justice was only glacial in this country.

If you think this conviction took a long time, Stephen Lawrence was murdered 13 years ago and still his killer's haven't been brought to justice.

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
welshandrew said:
If you think this conviction took a long time, Stephen Lawrence was murdered 13 years ago and still his killer's haven't been brought to justice.

Good heavens that's just tragic. Based on my experiences visiting Britian (multiple trips, both England and Scotland, Wales is next) that's one of the last places I'd expect to find racism rearing its ugly head. I will admit, though, the first time I heard a black man speaking with an English accent, it threw me for a second or two. Then again, I do live in the Deep South, so just about anything is an improvement.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
CorvusCamenarum said:
Good heavens that's just tragic. Based on my experiences visiting Britian (multiple trips, both England and Scotland, Wales is next) that's one of the last places I'd expect to find racism rearing its ugly head. I will admit, though, the first time I heard a black man speaking with an English accent, it threw me for a second or two. Then again, I do live in the Deep South, so just about anything is an improvement.

Is racism really that bad there? I grew up in the south as well (South Carolina) and it was rare to find racism. At least open racism was rare. Sometimes I think the south gets a bad rap because of its past. Ive seen more racism in Colorado than Ive ever seen down south.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Mr. Durden said:
Is racism really that bad there? I grew up in the south as well (South Carolina) and it was rare to find racism. At least open racism was rare. Sometimes I think the south gets a bad rap because of its past. Ive seen more racism in Colorado than Ive ever seen down south.

I lived in Atlanta between the ages of 3 and 8, and while I was really too young to see any racism or know it as such, I did find that Atlanta was very segregated. Of course it wasn't by law, but things were very separated. I remember there being tons of black kids at my school, but only one black family in my neighborhood.

I think in the South you don't really see people saying racist things often, but they keep separate and look down on others. And then there are definitely those who look down on others and say so quite loudly, too...

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Racism is not that bad. True there are racist killings but it does not occur very often. Comments are generally made but no action is ever taken and generally not to their faces. Without meaning to clump a whole group of people together, if you say something to your friend and both start laughing as a black person walks past, some (by all means the minority) take offence and presume that you are being racist.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Racism doesn't seem to be 'too bad' here in the UK. I hear the occasional racist comment about Polish immigrants and you get the occasional xenophobic newspaper story, usually in the Daily Express, Daily Mail, The Sun, etc, along the lines of "We're overrun by illegal immigrants" and "They're nicking our jobs." Plus 'German bashing' during the major football tournaments seems to become a national past-time, that occasionally gets out of hand.

However, there are definitely not enough 'black faces' in positions of power - judges, politicians, MP's, police, media and so on are all dominated by white, middle aged men, which cannot be healthy.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
welshandrew said:
However, there are definitely not enough 'black faces' in positions of power - judges, politicians, MP's, police, media and so on are all dominated by white, middle aged men, which cannot be healthy.
Could it be that they are better suited to the job???
That is one thing that i dont understand. People are determined to get black people into places of power. What happens if there was a much better candidate that just so happened to be white?? Would he be looked over for the 'racial balance'??
I'm not a racist but it does seem a little funny.
And german bashing can be fun :p

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
®îçhå®? said:
Could it be that they are better suited to the job???
That is one thing that i dont understand. People are determined to get black people into places of power. What happens if there was a much better candidate that just so happened to be white?? Would he be looked over for the 'racial balance'??
I'm not a racist but it does seem a little funny.
And german bashing can be fun :p

I agree with what you're saying, but surely we need more diversity (more women, ethnic minorities and so on) in positions of power, and not more of the 'usual suspects.' It leaves a bad taste in my mouth to say it, but I actually agree with David Cameron on something.

<Swigs some Listerine> ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.