Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
My wife and I recently ordered new MacBooks (13" Pro for me, 15" Pro for her due to her photography work).

We plan on ditching the iMac we share and getting an LG 27" 5K display to put in our home office. We can then just plug our laptop into the monitor via T-3/USB-C. I plan on getting an ethernet adapter to plug into the monitor so that the computer will ultimately be hardwired to our network.

We currently use a Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad with our iMac. We would like to continue using those with our MacBooks when they are plugged into the LG monitor.

Is anyone aware of a way to pair the keyboard/trackpad with two devices, but only have it active on the device connected to the monitor? Is there a Bluetooth adapter that will plug into the USB-C port on the monitor that the keyboard/trackpad will pair to?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

tomislavf

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
You can pair a Magic Keyboard/Trackpad to multiple devices but it's such a drag I wouldn't recommend it since there is no switch to choose between two paired Macs, so you always have to fiddle with turning Bluetooth off/on on both Macs.

If you're not attached to the Wireless aspect, you can use two USB-C->Lightning cables to connect the Keyboard/Trackpad to the back of the display so they essentially become wired devices.

If you really must go wireless then just get an extra Magic Keyboard/Trackpad so you each have your own.

Reactions: Brookzy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.