Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I have my apple tv and my macbook in the same room. Everytime I use my apple remote, it wakes up both devices. I want to pair this remote only to the apple tv. Any help out there for a brotha how to do this? Much thanks

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I have my apple tv and my macbook in the same room. Everytime I use my apple remote, it wakes up both devices. I want to pair this remote only to the apple tv. Any help out there for a brotha how to do this? Much thanks

Point the remote at the apple tv from 3 inches away. hold the Menu button and the Next (right arrow) button down together, until a little link icon flashes on screen.

Done.

Alternatively, just prevent IR from reaching the macbook by going to Security preference panel and shut off IR remote access.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you can turn off the receiver on the mini (system prefences -> security), or you'd have to pair a different remote to the macbook.

shneady

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply's and for your help. Pairing the remote to the apple tv was perfect. Thanks again :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.