Pairing Barcode Scanner with Bluetooth or Port

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by inate76, Jun 18, 2009.

1. inate76 macrumors newbie

I've read in numerous locations about the arrival of POS functionality in the realm of iPhone or iPod touch. I own a small biz where employees use barcode scanners for input into data fields appearing on our mobile-optimized web pages. In other words they shoot a bar code and the data appears where the cursor is and a return command is sent.

We don't want to have an app written in order to utilize the external data gathering devices like a bar code scanner. Can a barcode scanner be used or not? If so is there a manufacturer for a port mounted scanner (like what the Apple Store is supposed to be getting) or can the Bluetooth radio be utilized like other hand held devices?

Thanks for any help!

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Could the camera handle this? Other apps on the app store use the camera for bar codes.

3. inate76 thread starter macrumors newbie

From everything I've read the camera as a barcode scanner is not terrible reliable. It seems as though it is a solution for a few scans a day or at a time. Our application requires scanning in an inventory environment.

We really need to be able to pair an industry standard Bluetooth Barcode Scanner (http://www.socketmobile.com/products/bluetooth-barcode-scanners/cordless-hand-scanner-series-7/) with an iPhone. Building the app that works with the Sequel DB seemed to be no problem for the developers. But there's a hold-up where pairing the iPhone/Ipod Touch is concerned.

4. pamies macrumors newbie

I've been looking for the same thing for a while. Just want an external, keyboard "wedge" type scanner, so that the barcode is entered into an iPhone or iPod Touch app just like it was plain text.

And I just stumbled across this:

http://ww1.socketmobile.com/products/bluetooth-scanners.aspx

No idea how much it is, or what the quality is like (I've never worked with this brand before) but it pairs with the iPhone over Bluetooth, which seems perfect.

5. PalmerRenninger macrumors newbie

We have a bluetooth barcode scanner that works with the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. It's the size of a Zippo lighter. You can see it in action at http://www.barcodeguy.com

Anyone want to demo and do a write up here?

Palmer

6. Omnidatum macrumors newbie

Hello everyone ;)

I'm new here :) I have some questions, because I starting new store and I want some easy mobile solution for my store. Let say we have POS system cashier, but I want the my shop seller could make sell of the product by using iPhone. Let's say he/she scans product which want to buy customer, scan one more and customer say, ok enough these i'll buy and our seller press on ok or whatever button on iPhone and POS system accept the sale, prints fiscal check and invoice (by check some point on iPhone app or something) if it neccesary for the customer. Is there any solutions in that range?! Anyone can help me with that or I must to build it up by myself? :)