Pairing for my iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rick in NC, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Rick in NC macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I've got an iPad 32 gig 3G and absolutely adore it. I use it as my primary source of communication and don't go anywhere without it.

I'm at a point, however, where I need to replace my laptop. My HP is on the fritz, about 4 years old now, and although the iPad is an excellent addition, it is not a total replacement.

My wife just purchased an MacBook pro for grad school and won't stop raving about it either. So, since it is about time for me to replace my computer, we decided to go Mac.

My question is this: would it be a better choice to go and get a MacBook pro or an iMac? Portability isn't that much of an issue, as much of my work can be done at a desk, and when I do travel, nearly anything I need can be done on an iPad. In a pinch, I can use my wife's laptop as well.

Most of my computer work is word processing, music composition and school administrative stuff. An iMac or MacBook would suffice.

So what would you recommend? I appreciate your opinions.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

This should be in buying tips and advice, considering it has nothing directly to do with the ipad.

Anyway, I say get the imac if you don't require portability as you have the ipad.

4. npropes macrumors member

I would definitely say go with the iMac unless you find yourself needing a laptop when you're traveling. I've got an iPad and a MacBook Pro. I find that I use the iPad for just about everything and generally leave my MBP hooked up at my desk all the time.

It really depends on what your primary uses are. If you're web browsing a light email, then the iPad should work great. If you're doing heavy email, grab a bluetooth keyboard for the iPad. If you're doing photo editing on the go, then you will need the laptop.

5. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

you really answered your own question. the major reason (only?) to get a laptop is portability. If portability is not an issue, an iMac will always represent better value and robustness. IE faster processor, bigger screen, more ports, for less money.

I have all three, iMac, Macbook, and iPad. Before the iPad I had the macbook to carry around. Now its collecting dust while I use my iMac at my desk, and travel with my iPad.

6. willieva macrumors 6502

If money is no object then a mbp and an external screen would be the most flexible arrangement. A 13" mbp would satisfy your needs. Of course you could get a faster computer with a better screen for less with an imac.

My mbp hardly gets used anymore. Everything can be done on an ipad or the imac.