Pairing iMac with Notebook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dingster1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. dingster1 macrumors regular

Ok so my son is asking for a notebook for Christmas. He has an older gen iMac which is working fine. He is in school for animation. I'm torn between: iPad, Macbook, or a Windows notebook.

Any advice

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iPad isn't a notebook so I would rule that out straightaway unless he specifically said he wants an iPad (maybe you can ask is iPad fine?). As for Mac vs PC, I would ask from him. It'll be his computer so it's the best to get something that he likes

3. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

If he needs it for school, animation = MacBook.

4. iWright macrumors member

I'd say go with the macbook.
    1) as you said older gen imac it sounds as if the notebook will replace it to an extent (ergo ipad isn't really applicable)
    2)for animation a macbook is going to be more suitable
    3) he's already familiar with the mac format
    Hope this helps

5. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

I agree. Plus, your son is familiar with the Mac OS.

6. funkyT80 macrumors member

Obviously none of these people are animators

Bottom-line if he's in the school for animation he's going to need windows. Applications like Maya and 3d studio max are not nearly supported enough on OSX. I'm a big mac fan, and I have one for home use, however at work (i work in the industry and also have an MFA in animation) everyone uses either windows or linux. Macs only come into play if someone is doing graphical 2d work like painting textures in photoshop, or video editing. Granted he could always use boot camp to install windows on a macbook, but then you're paying up for lesser hardware. I'd take a look at the hp envy line, they seem to be the best equipped pc laptops at reasonable (>2000) prices. Anyway, that's my two sense, people tend to recommend macs for everything graphics, but animation is a different animal all together.

7. CBJammin103 macrumors regular

CBJammin103

There's no reason you can't get a Macbook even if he needs Windows... Bootcamp works perfectly fine! As far as I know, most tech-aware universities offer Windows for cheap or free these days, so a Mac is a no-brainer for most students the way I see it. ;)

8. dingster1 thread starter macrumors regular