Pairing Mac Pro & Canon iP90v Printer via Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joegraziano, May 26, 2008.

1. joegraziano macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am obviously new to MR, but happy to be here, it seems like there is a wealth of knowledge.

I have a new mac pro and want to get a wireless printer. I have decided on the Canon iP90v with additional Bluetooth module. Does anyone anticipate I will have any problems with the computer recognizing and printing to the printer through Bluetooth?

Does anyone have this configuration or a similar one? If so, any tips or comments on your experience?

Thanks!
    Joe

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Bluetooth is extremely slow compared to regular wireless networks. I just looked at the web page for this model and it uses bluetooth 1.1 which is even slower. Why not look at a printer with wireless 802.11 connectivity or ethernet (to plug directly into your router) instead?

3. joegraziano thread starter macrumors newbie

How slow is "extremely slow" to you in terms of print speed? Additionally, if I get a printer with 802.11 wireless, wont I have to disconnect from the internet to print when I connect to the printer?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Read this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_1.1#Bluetooth_1.1

If you get WIFI (802.11), you just configure it to work with your router. It will become part of your network and you will not have to disconnect from the Internet or change locations on your Mac.

I find a better solution (my printer has 802.11 and ethernet) if your router is fairly close to the printer, not to use (or purchase) this 802.11 option and to use ethernet and connect directly to your router.

Your choice.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

As for how slow I could not say exactly, something along the lines of Molasses in January. Bluetooth also has a meager range.

As for 802.11 wireless no you will not have to disconnect from the internet to print, the printer will just connect to you router over wireless like any other computer on a network. When you print it will just eat up some network bandwidth until the job is finished. If you have a really slow network and a really fast internet connection you may notice some browsing slowdowns while printing but this is not likely.