Pairing Macbook to iPhone 4 via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by imageWIS, Jul 16, 2010.

1. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

I tired pairing my iPhone 4 to my Macbook, and while the two devices discover each other and once paired my MB can see my iPhone, but my phone cannot seem to connect to my MB.

Any suggestions as to how to rectify the problem?

2. celticpride678

You can't pair the iPhone with a computer (only a Bluetooth headset).

3. imageWIS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why? You can pair other dumb phones from with a Macbook without any problems.

4. celticpride678

Not the iPhone - not supported.

5. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

You can pair it if you're using Internet Tethering, but that requires a special plan from AT&T.

6. hipvamore macrumors regular

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Not possible unless its jail broken. AT&T charges for tethering.

Cheers,

8. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Why why why.....this is one thing that just irks me to no end.....Apple if you are listening......PLEASE MAKE THIS A FEATURE!!

end rant

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I respectfully disagree as my iPhone is paired via bluetooth just fine...granted I do have AT&T tethering on my account. It is possible to pair to a Mac.

10. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Umm...yeah. Works just fine with my IP4 and MBA. You do have to have tethering enabled via AT&T or be JB.

11. celticpride678

There you go - you have tethering. If you wouldn't, it wouldn't work.

12. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes. I'm just saying it is possible to pair your iPhone with a Mac. ;)

13. silvaharounian macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 bluetooth connection

I just bought the iphone 4 from Verizon, i'm trying to pair with my macbook it doesn't let me to do so. They found each other but when i want to connect my phone gives me an error that it is not supported device. what can i do?

14. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You can look at the posts above that tell you what you need for it to work.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Why do you want to pair it? What are you intending to do with it?

16. moroporo macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have recently stepped in the Apple world when the notebooks in my work have been changed to MacBook Pros. Now I also own an iPhone4, Macbook Air and Time Capsule at home. I have to say that I have a list of disappointments already and the subject of this thread is one of them.

I was looking for an answer to the same problem because I just want to sync my iPhone with iTunes on my Macbook Air via bluetooth. Say, I bought an e-book (in PDF) from an online shop which is now resting in my Macbook. I don't have my USB cable in reach and I just want to sync that book into my iPhone.

So now iPhone does not have a feature to transfer files from a computer? If so, it is really disappointing.

17. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Typical Apple, leaving out some features that they consider will negatively reduce another feature, it seems that the battery life has a higher priority over wireless syncing.

Anyway there are some workarounds:
    - you can email the ebook to your iDevice.
    - Kindle App has whispersync that works pretty good
    - iDisk = MobileMe
    - Drop box
    - iBooks : you can redid load the book?

I pay for MobileMe and find the wireless syncing of contacts, calendars, bookmarks pretty good to maintain my iDevices and Macs synchronized.

There might be some other solutions that are free, other MR members can chip in with better answers.

There is always a solution.

Some Apps have wireless sync feature via Wi-Fi, I use Things for managing my to dos an it works great. Same for Splash Safe to manage passwords and user accounts.

I only need to use the cable to charge battery and to transfer my purchases to my Mac or to transfer a movie or music to my iPhone, and using a wireless connection will not be faster or efficient use of the battery charge. I prefer to use battery when actually using my iPhone not when transferring a lot of GBs to it.

18. telltarget macrumors newbie

Verizon cripples bluetooth on phones

Also don't forget that Verizon has a vendetta against bluetooth.

They purposely do not allow their phones to connect to computers. I understand the tethering part (they want to make money) but for dumb phones it would be nice to allow address book importation and exportation (before their backup app came out). Same thing goes for being able to import custom homebrew ringtones.

I just wanted to be able to connect my iphone to my mac for use of a desktop app called Proximity (which allows you to run applescripts when your device comes in/out of range of the mac).

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wireless sync over WiFi coming in iOS5. Just wait a little bit longer...or jailbreak if you need it RIGHT NOW.

20. tolimawiki macrumors newbie

how we can change the world.

"People who think they cannot change the world are the ones that do." Quote.

I can sync my ip4 with mba over usb, wifi, etc but i love to be able to sync via bluetooth (for personal reasons), and having trouble like all my precedence on this thread. here the story: i pull out an old abandoned htc touch pro, plug in a old prepaid sim, activate bluetooth, voila! connect instantly with mba, do tfr files etc. simple. with ip4, no go. WHY?

Doesn't seem like SPJ's mantra.

:confused: "taking baby steps in Apple World, and loving it, despite bluetooth glitch."