Pairing watch with new phone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lonman06, Sep 23, 2015.

1. lonman06 macrumors regular

I currently have an iPhone 6 plus and have ordered a iPhone 6S. Can I just pair the watch with my new phone and it will keep all the current apps/settings or do I have to unpair and repair it with the new phone?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You won't be able to pair the Watch to the new iPhone unless you re-set the Watch (either by unpairing it from the old iPhone or doing an erase all contents and settings from within the watch).

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

My understanding is that you will need to un-pair it from the current phone and then pair with the new one. The best thing to do is to make an encrypted back up of your phone and restore the new one with that. Then pair the watch with the new phone. This should retain the apps and settings. This is just conjecture on my part as I have yet to do it myself. You will definitely have to un-pair the watch first as it can only pair with one phone at a time.

4. YatBob macrumors member

YatBob

1. Unpair
    2. Backup 6+ to iCloud or encrypted iTunes backup, some suggested both
    3. Restore 6S from backup
    4. Pair

5. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

I came here looking for info on this, too. I'm a bit confused. I like to set up my new phones as new, not restore from backup. So will I forfeit all my watch data to do that?

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

7. iVegas macrumors 6502

iVegas

I just got off with Apple Support. If you like to set your phones up as new then you will lose all the watch data. Only option is to restore from back up.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, the anal retentive practice of always setting the iPhone up as new is overkill and unnecessary. You do this only if you have a corrupted backup, which can strike anytime, not just when restoring a new iPhone from a backup.

Sure, you're screwed if you actually get a corrupted backup, but this is rare. My wife and I have backups going all the way back to the original iPhone.