Pale screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, Aug 26, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

hey guys, just compared my iPhone 3g to a friends and my screen looks more pale like it has less contrast. It's not a huge deal but now that I know about it it bugs me. My phone is otherwise perfect.

Not sure if I should get it replaced or not, anyone have this issue? You'd had to have compare it to another.

2. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone,

I'm really debating whether I should bring it in,I don't want an iPhone with worse problems.

Also, would I need to make an appointment with a genius when I take in my iPhone ?

3. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

Go for it.

4. yode macrumors 6502

do a comparison picture of your iphone and your friends

5. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

after closer inspection I've found more differences. Her iPhone screen is nor just more contrasted and darker but it also seems to have a slight tint to it, making the blacks slightly brown tinted. Is this the yellowing issue many are talking about? I'm not sure which I'd rather have, a normal screen with slight contrast issue or a normal full contrast screen with slight yellow tint. I'll try to post pics tomorrow.

6. yoomy macrumors member

there are many different screens being used in the iPhone 3G. Different yellow tints and different contrast ratios. The chance to get one with no yellow tint and perfect contrast is close to 0, but they do exist, a tmobile store here in germany has one on display. I use that one to compare the different iPhones I got so far. If you exchange yours be aware that you can easily end up with something worse. I exchanged mine because it had a huge yellow tint, more yellow than any other ive seen, but the replacement iPhone took the yellow to the next level.

7. gadgetware macrumors newbie

I would learn to live with it if it's fully functional and hope that they release some kind of contrast/hue settings in the future.

My first 3G iPhone had connection issues and I decided to return it. I'm now on my 4th one because of display issues with the first two replacements (dead pixels). This one seems OK other than the slight contrast issue so I'm not going to press my luck seeking perfection. It's a shame that there's such a difference in the manufacturing process.

8. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I'm taking it to the apple store tomorrow but I'm hell scared to end up with a worse iPhone! My screen defintely looks a bit worse than others I've seen, photos look dull while on other iPhones they look more vibrant. I can live with it but why should I have to settle for a washed out screen, which is the main element of the iPhone.

Looking for more responses about what you guys would do

9. yoomy macrumors member

The washed out ones tend to have the better white though. If it's slightly washed out but has decent white with no yellow tint, then I'd keep it. If it's completely pale then go exchange it and pray.

10. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This might affect all iPhones, I'm not sure having it replaced would make any difference.

I have a year-old iPod Touch and a week-old iPhone 3G, but looking at the displays you'd think it's the other way around. The iPod Touch has a noticeably crisper and sharper display, while the iPhone looks slightly muddy. And if I increase the brightness on the iPhone to compensate, it just looks washed out instead, like there was a thin layer of fog in front of it.

I've noticed the same kind of downtrade in WiFi signal. With the iPod Touch I have full bars on WiFi in any corner of my house, but on the iPhone the signal is just 'good', not 'excellent' (one bar missing). You'd think that the iPhone 3G would be more of a premium product than iPod Touch, but this is certainly not reflected in build and component quality...

11. baaron macrumors newbie

You can go into the brightness setting and increase it. You can make it bright enought to get a tan. :mad:

12. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it affects all iPhones differently, it's not a brightness issue it's a contrast issue. Some are yellower than others, some have less contrast, some have a mix of both.

Mine has no yellowing at all, but it looks a little more 'pale', washed out etc, compared to others I've seen.

My iPhone screen, especially when looking at the iPhone wallpapers, looks a lot different compared to a screen with yellowing and full contrast (as mine has a white screen and lacking contrast).

Yoomy I will probably take your advise and not swap it, however I do think the yellow screen (with full contrast) looks better than my screen. Photos really pop more on those screens. :S

13. cenetti macrumors 6502

My first 3G was great. Deep blacks, rich colors Beautiful screen. Unfortunately , one day it gave me some sort of sim error and died. My replacement has a whiter, bluish color. When I tilt the screen a little bit, It becomes "washed out blue".....And I'll live with that. Because I really don't feel like explaining this to a dumb-genius and get ******* treatment.....