palm beach or atlanta?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, May 25, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm pondering what to do next, either to stay in the middle of nowhere in florida (i live in palm beach county in the boonies, which means if gas prices skyrocket, we're going to be hit hard, as the nearest store is 5 miles away), or to move out to the city of atlanta (not really interested in other options right now) and go on my own and try there.

basically, there isn't too much in work here in this area, especially in biology, and scripps, the only thing out here, won't be up and running for a bit. pay is mediocre (like 10 bucks an hour) with ever-rising cost of living and gas prices, and another thing is (no offense to the older people), there is a lack of 20 somethings around here. i do get free housing via the folks here, and if it weren't for that, i would have left by now. plus if palm beach county gets smacked with a major hurricane this season and is left devastated, i'm outta here. i'm thinking i stay here one year and teach biology for a local high school for cash, but the school system i heard is terrible with the fcat and stuff (i didn't go to high school here).

i looked into atlanta, and while it's not the utopia, it sure looks better than here. public transportation exists (which is better than my current situation), and a car lite life in some areas is doable, and wages are higher with cost of living being lower. two major universities compared to palm beach's none and a bunch of biotech companies (not the sd or boston hub, but it works) has me at least hopeful for a chance for jobs here minus the 5 hour commute. crime and rent are a bit of a negative though.

and something else to consider: for someone who graduated from a no name school, what would be better long term, staying local for jobs, then moving out, or getting a job in a big market and work from there?

give me your suggestions and advice, although i'm leaning towards atlanta.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

change is awkward.

change is uncomfortable.

change is scary.

but... change is ultimately good, and necessary.

i say atlanta. you go girl.

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Well, Atlanta is a good little town, you could look into Atlantic Station which is a miniature city within Atlanta, it has everything you need within walking distance. (I don't know about the prices though- they may be a little steep). As far as public transportation goes, sure we have MARTA, but it's not exactly the greatest... or safest... form of transportation.

As far as the job market goes we have a ton of companies in the area (not to mention the FDA resides here) so I think you could easily find a biology related job. There's a ton to do around the city, so you'll never be bored if you don't want to be.

If you have any specific area's you want to know about shoot me a PM and I'll try to help you out. Good luck with your decision! :)

4. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

thanks for the suggestions so far...but i'm so bored here in palm beach, there's nothing to do, especially come summer time. the only thing that will probably keep me here is a teaching job locally for one year...but i'm still mulling things over.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What are your academic credentials? Do you have a BS in Biology, or do you have a graduate degree, or something else? Is your ultimate plan to go to graduate school, or do you want to work your way up in some sort of biology/biotech position that does not require an advanced degree?

Aside from all that, though, Atlanta does sound nice... I'm thinking about applying to Emory as one of my possible internship sites.

6. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

should have specified. i have a bs in biology, granted last december (so i'm still a fairly new graduate) coming out of hiatus. i don't plan on grad school at least right now, and if i do, i'll be going for my masters. i would probably be working in a writing position somewhere that doesn't require a graduate degree, as the lab doesn't appeal to me. the problem for me is that i went to a no name school, and if it's better to start in the very lacking palm beach county (where's it's next to impossible to get a job) and then move, or to start off in a better market.

7. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

I've lived in Atlanta for a couple of months 3 years ago, and all I can say is I cant wait till I go back...for good!
    I love that city :D

8. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm shocked i didn't get much of a response here. but if you want to know where i am now, i think i'm leaning towards atlanta. so pretty much i have a few options.

1. stay here and teach at local school for one year before moving
    pros: rent free, can pay off college loans in one year, no income tax
    cons: not interested in teaching in high school, florida high schools are terrible, transportation could be a problem

2. stay and try to get a regular job in biology
    pros: rent free, no income tax
    cons: jobs very limited, low pay will offset income tax savings, transportation is a major problem, commute will likely be at least an hour

3. move to atlanta and try my luck there
    pros: alot more biology based companies, higher pay, cost of living lower
    cons: may not be able to pay off loans as fast, state income tax, will likely be living on my own

also, palm beach is boring to me, nothing goes on around here, while atlanta seems to be a bit more youth friendly.

thought this would make things a bit easier for people. and the question about jobs for people from no name schools, i think going to a big market will be more handy long term for me instead of trying to struggle here and going later.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd start the application process now, from Florida. You can make it clear that you're willing to pay relocation expenses yourself. But that way you're not stuck in ATL without any income. But yeah, it sounds to me like you'd be a lot happier trying out ATL than staying in Palm Beach.

10. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Atlantic Station really is gorgeous. We've been there a couple of times and it's just awesome.

I get the impression, though, that it's not cheap. I mean, that's a relative term and it might be cheap compared to Florida - I dunno. The apartments are perfect for the 20-somethings though.. mostly all loft-style from what I've seen. Helps that the school is right nearby, too.. so roommates might be a VERY viable solution.

At any rate, I'd definitely say change is good. If there's a job market here and places for you to go, then why not? "If you're not moving forward you're going backwards" - right?

I agree with mkrishnan, though - try to get as much settled from where you are now first. Try to get interviews lined up, apartments figured out.. If you explain that you're trying to relocate, companies will probably be flexible with you in scheduling interviews (some might do phone instead of in person, depending on your resume.. the others should be scheduled in the same time frame so that you can make a short trip out and knock 'em down all at once. Would also give you a chance to apartment-hunt in person.

Anyways, good luck!

11. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i have a cousin in real estate in the atlanta area, so that should help me in apartment hunting i think in what areas to go to and avoid. one i hear often is va-hi is a nice place for the young, but it's probably going to be inside the city, not willing to get myself in the same situation as i'm in now.

but it sounds like it's better to take the plunge...but i want to see where my brother takes a job so we could possibly room together instead of me being all by myself.

12. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

yuck

look at this: http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/sci/

only 5 job openings in the biotech field in 45 days...not much action at all in palm beach. but compare that to miami's: http://miami.craigslist.org/sci/ . alot more here, even though i'm not moving there. just goes to show you, there is no science action at all in this area, and likeliness of moving is going up by the day. i'm going to dig up some average salaries of these two areas and make a final determination soon.

13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Go to the ATL and get in with the Ludacris, T.I., or OutKast.

Plus Flori-duh is full of idiots. (yes i am stereotyping and no not everyone is dumb, but the many times I have visited have resulted in the lost of brain cells :D )

14. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

now i know i need to leave palm beach, i feel bored and totally uninterested about everything now staying here, and i never seem to go anywhere...it's hopeless here, and we're still in single digits in jobs here. and most of my friends have left the area and the ones that haven't, i can't see because they are so far away from my area.

but i can't seem to get into the back door for jobs...there's no way i can do it the old fashioned way, but i need to get away from this town for at least a bit, otherwise, i could be in full blown depression soon.

15. furcalchick thread starter macrumors 68020

furcalchick

for some reason, i feel that getting into the biotech industry would be very hard for me because of alot of the ethical questions for me at least that i would have to be in if i got into it. like firstly, i'm not a big fan of drugs and i don't really like too much of what the biotech industry has been doing as of late...it just feels so dirty to even touch it.

any ideas of what i can do that wouldn't touch these ethical lines?