Palm Desktop for Mac: Run Mac version or Win version in Fusion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dacreativeguy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I just bought my wife a new Al MacBook and need to migrate her Treo 700p from her old Windows machine to the new Mac. I used to use Palm Desktop for Mac and know it is a little quirky and may have some issues with Leopard, so I'm trying to decide whether I should go down that path or just install Fusion and run the windows version in a VM. Anybody have any recommendations either way? She uses Palm Desktop only for syncing, so I don't need to worry about the Leopard iSync issues.

Thanks

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Buying ans installing both VMWare and Windows seems to be overkill if your wife is just going to be syncing the phone. I would just run the Mac version of it and keep a back up on hand.

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I use Missing Sync for BlackBerry which I know is not for your Palm, but it always seems to delete files or otherwise jumble them up (mostly address book stuff). I now use VMFusion and sync with an XP address book which I periodically export to OS X Address Book. At least that way is 100% reliable, and reversible.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Palm Desktop works fine on our 2.4 GHz (intel) MacBook Pro and 5-year old dual-G5 tower, both running 10.5.5.

I'd try it on your Mac, as it should work.

5. dacreativeguy thread starter macrumors 68000

I made a few backups, crossed my fingers, and did the deed. It seemed to work just fine.