Palm Pr is an ugly looking phone.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by TheSpaz, May 19, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Design-wise, I think the Palm Prē looks ugly. I won't be getting one because I'm an Apple fanatic, but that doesn't change the fact that it's just a really ugly looking

2. marra2 macrumors regular

marra2

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Care to explain why?

I think it's extremely cheap-looking. It's a plastic POS. And it's thick as hell, too.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I've used phones like the HTC Tilt and I like the thicker phone. It feels safe, sort of like a tank. I don't know, its a personal preference. I think both the Pre and iPhone look very nice and I appreciate both of their designs.

6. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Ladies and gentlemen,

the lack of tolerance is disturbing. Palms liitle fellow did not harm you before, besides by looking that way. A little bit more respect to the art of engineering and competition.

But frankly, the most hardest part to look at is this :

Attached Files:

7. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Thanks iGeRmAn! I just threw up in my mouth and my vision went blurry.

Looking at that keyboard is as gazing at Medusa.

At least I did not turn to stone.

8. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

i don't think the palm pre will even succeed as much as Apple's iPhone did. it could be better looking and i know i would not buy it.

9. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

sheesh.......I am so tired of all the koolaid drinkers. I am a mac fanatic, too. That said, there are some people who would see Steve Jobs take a dump on a motherboard and find a reason to calll it great. Lets take a step back, people.

10. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Sorry dude,

i went through that process 3 times before being able to post it.

Funny about that, it doesn't matter how often you look at it, you just don't get used to it.....must stop...here i go again :eek:

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Oh I agree with you.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Pre is a butt ugly phone. :eek:

It could have been so much more. It is a missed design opportunity.
    If they had come up with a decent design Jobs probably would have taken a dump out of sheer worry. ;)

12. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

nobody talks about success or tech-specs. Cool down. It's just some design issues. And come on, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I don't really see anything wrong with the Pre. I actually like that keyboard, since I can't stand the touch type keyboard. I still can't type worth a darn on my iPod Touch keyboard. Not that it really matters, since 1) I don't use a keyboard on my phone (I don't even have a text message plan), and 2) I am stuck in a contract until December.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate the cell phone industry?? Let's see...I have to pay you if I want to stop doing business with you. Thanks.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I hate all physical keyboards on phones anyway, but damn that is an ugly one. Whats with the combo of black, white, and orange. It seems like the colors would certainly strain my eyes with the orange on black.

Edit: Other than that and the sheer thickness of the pre, I think its a decent looking phone (i guess that means I like the look of the OS?)

15. statik13 macrumors regular

Fortunately you can hide the keyboard away if you find it that ugly. I wish the iPhone had a similar design instead of using up 2/3 of the screen with a virtual keyboard.

16. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Like i said...it's a matter of taste or what preferences you have. I can't deal with this tiny plastic thing called keyboard. Hoping the iPhone will show up with one of these .....No Sir....never ever.

But there is freedom of choice ;)

17. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm just concerned the keyboard would be smaller then I can use effectively(perhaps pratice would help)...but it looks like a Treo Pro/Centro keyboard, which I'm not the largest fan of

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Pre looks promising, many users will appreciate the physical keyboard.. but personally.. it's not for me. I think Apple nailed the design and will eventually nail the hardware and software..

19. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

too bad they both suck compared to curves and bolds

20. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Anyone got a side on view of both of these - most comparisons i've seen only do front facing shots of the screen, not comparing the width:

Pre - 0.67 inches 16.95mm
    iPhone - 0.48 inches 12.3 mm

I guess if you had the iPhone in a case, and the Pre wasn't, they'd be roughly as thick.

21. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I have a Palm Centro with a similar keyboard, and I like it. It's easy to use.

22. diemos macrumors 6502

23. racers macrumors regular

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yeah, but it's functional as sin. Not everything I carry has to be a fashion statement. I'm already gay enough!

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Orange on black (black background, orange lettering) arguably provides the most visible distinction (contrast) between colours, perhaps even moreso than black with white text, or white with black text. Black background with light orange text works really well. ;)

I agree that the iPhone does look better than the Pre, or any other smartphone out there. This is especially true of the original 2G iPhone. The 3G "upgrade" doesn't look as good with the black or white back lid.

However, the Palm Pre isn't ugly either. The photo was just taken under bad lighting, where the reflection of the light from above is shining off some of the keys. If an iPhone photo was taken under the same conditions, you'd see a reflection due to the shiny screen. Doesn't make the iPhone ugly, does it?