Palm Pre Accidently Advertises Apple In Their Own Ad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Jan 8, 2009.

1. OnlyOneThatEver macrumors member

2. gacxx macrumors regular

gacxx

3. JLatte macrumors 6502

That's actually kind of a funny little mistake. Not like they could control that, but still kind of cool.

4. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Could they possibly find a more unstable camera operator to film these. I felt like I was watching the presentation through the eyes of my drunk uncle Leonard. I kept waiting for him to stare at her chest.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

They should run the video through iMovie '09 to stabilize it. :D

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I really don't see what the buzz is about this phone.

8. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

Has everything the iPhone doesn't, finally maybe a real competitor. Palm and Nokia with their Pre and N97 will make Apple scramble to get the features we wanted. :D

9. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

I thought this was funny...

Guy: Can you go to YouTube?
    Woman: Sure
    Guy: Can you click on one of those pictures?
    Woman: Sure
    Guy: Yeah, doesn't work.

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Totally PWNED!!!!!

I love how the lady has to practically crack the screen to get the menus to drag up. I also don't get why she keeps saying the "gesture area." Is she talking about the whole screen or is only part of it touch sensitive???

I really don't care for it but I think it will motivate Apple to add some of what we've been asking for.

BTW just joking about only being partway touch sensitive. I just thought it was a funny name.

QUOTED Showing off the photo application.

Guy: Do you know if you can rotate that?
    Girl: Yeah I should be able to... /waits for laggy application to load/
    Girl: The accelerometer should allow me to do that. /rotates phone/ (doesn't work)
    Girl: Ummm......(hesitates) they must have turned it off...but ya...

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    In addition to the touchscreen itself, the area below is also touch sensitive and can be used for gestures.

It's brilliant, because you don't have to obscur the screen with your fingers all the time. So it's similar to having buttons down there, but with the advantage of gestures that can be updated.

Perhaps the gesture area can also have common ones like a left-flick to mean "go back one step", while the application on the screen itself can use a left-flick to move between items. Not sure.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

iPhone has App Store. Palm does not.

Palm has 3G, Wifi, Multi touch, GPs, etc. iPhone has all of that and more. It's also cheaper and there is a SIM card. Palm is $400 WITH a contract and there is no SIM card (hard to transfer data between phones). So what feature does the Palm have that the iPhone 3G does not? Apart from the fugly as hell feature?!? And the "it looks like a child's toy" feature?!?

13. spring macrumors regular

You can multi-task with the WebOS on the Pre using the expose-like feature (cards as Palm calls it), something that you can not do with the current iPhone UI. Yet it's a feature that has been standard in all smart phones.

14. efice32 macrumors 6502

you're still stuck with Palm's crappy OS though

OSX > everything else

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You can technically multitask with the iPhone. You can play music while Web surfing, checking e-mail and a lot of other apps. In other words, the Apple ones let you do it a bit, but the third-party guys don't. Considering the complaints about 3G battery life I've heard, I get the restriction.

I think that's something worth Apple adding in the future as long as there is some way to make sure there aren't a lot of background apps running by accident.

But as far as these "features standard with all smart phones" claims, do all smart phones have built-in iPods? Sync with iTunes, Address Book, etc.? No. Do they have 10,000 the App Store? No. Visual voicemail? Most don't. Safari? No. A lot of you guys love pointing out what the iPhone left out and seem to forget what Apple actually put in there.

16. Acronym macrumors 68000

Don't forget windows Vista > OSX

I watched a video on YouTube and the woman advertising hers had problems pulling up the hidden dock menu and a few other features like gestures it was quite funny.

17. jmmtn4aj macrumors member

I heard at the unveiling of the iPhone Jobs had to rotate between several iPhones because the battery kept dying it was so funny lololol

Jesus christ guys could you get any more childish.

18. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I thought Apple had patented the crap out of the pinching multi-touch gestures? If Palm is licensing the tech then fine. If Palm isn't paying for it, then why the hell doesn't every other touch-screen phone use the gestures?

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What I thought was hilarious is how the non-iPhonish gestures seemed to be just random to me. The lady was all moving the dock-like thing up by grabbing it, and I just thought, "why?"

The fact (of my opinion) is Apple figured out the whole mutlitouch phone thing, and everybody else has been trying to mimic it with limited success. There seems to be almost zero inventiveness by anybody, seeing as how every touchscreen phone looks nearly the same if you just change the icons.

I must also point out how weird the home wannabe button was on the Pre demo. Whereas on the iPhone it's kind of the escape key, Palm seemed to think it would be awesome to do...well, I don't know what it does. Nice try for new stuff, but fail on functionality.

Oh yeah: Pre? Since when did a prefix become a good product name?

20. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

:D:D:D Can't resist!!!!!!!

It's a new trend. The Pre was announced just before the HTC Con which is set to drastically outperform the rumored Samsung Homo.

I'm sorry but you left me no choice. LMAO!! :D:)

21. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Complete crap, it looks like a Chinese iPhone knock-off (note the status bar at the top looks very similar to the iPhone's) and, just like those, it dosent work properly either. :D

22. sparkyms macrumors 65816

copy/paste
    mms
    multi tasking
    there will be an App Store
    keyboard
    camera with flash

Now I'm not saying that I WANT THIS FONE OMG ITS S00 COOL! but at the same time I'm not short-sighted enough to think everything apple touches is going to be the best. This might give apple a kick in the pants to add a few pretty important features in the software to the iphone.

23. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You forgot the LG Neo, which will be pitched by Keanu Reeves. One word: Woah.

24. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

HAHAHAHA, brilliant. And true. :D

25. peperoni macrumors member

While iPhone can technically multitask, other OSs like the Pre's webOS, S60 and WinMob can all do multitask in real life. There's no restrictions what apps can be multitasked and what not and the switching between running apps is seamless. Atleast in S60 the multitasking doesn't result any significant battery drain if the apps isn't connected to web, GPS, counting steps via accelerometer, etc.

As for standard smart phone features every smart phone has a media/music player, syncs with something (media player, outlook contacts, tasks, e.g.) and has web browser. Sure it brought some new stuff like appstore and visual voice mail and refined some standard features (like browsing and general UI awesomeness), but at the same time it omitted some other standard features.

As for the Pre, after the initial wow factor, I started to notice some big letdowns. Only 8gig internal mem with no extendible mem with memcards (definately too little compared to N97's 32gig+memcard), bogstandard cam and no video rec. Has it become some weird trend to leave out video recording, first iPhone and G1 and now Pre?. Atleast the interface is really sweet and well though out and gesture area is great addon. Definately not waiting anything like this from Palm!

Next GSM version thank you! :)