PALM PRE ENVY --- Do you wish iphone had similar charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ayasinsk, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I have been looking at Palm Pre smartphone, which is rumored to come out in May. The phone really does look cool with all of the multitasking and user interface. It also features a touch stone charger, "wireless" way of charging.

Does anyone else wish Apple came out with a similar charging device?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. kits macrumors member

Not just Apple. I wish all cameras, and other portable systems can use some standard device like it.

With Pre, more than the charging device I like how the messaging is organized on Pre. All emails, SMS, chats to a contact as one conversation. That with the notification system and universal contacts makes it a revolutionary device. I hope it really is as good as the web reviews say it is. iPhone is really messing the flow of application use without multi-tasking at least for some basic messaging apps like SMS and e-mails. I just hate clicking on links in emails or opening an SMS that pops-up while in other apps.

4. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

5. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It's a gimmick. How exactly is it different from sticking your phone in the dock? Besides the fact that the Pre can't sync with your computer over the touchstone.

I slip my phone in and out of the dock several times a day (No. I know what you're thinking, and no). It's really easy. This doesn't make it better or easier. In fact, it removes functionality. Palm is desperately trying to add some style to their product, but they're doing it at the expense of functionality. Apple has traditionally known better, and I hope they don't feel pressured to oblige.

One phone I am envious of is the G1. I don't know why. I've just got this weird crush on linux all of a sudden; it's crazy.

6. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

Well just to let you know Palm Pre's OS is build on linux as well.

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Pretty much Apple's motto right there.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Envy? No. I just wish phone makers could try to start making similar chargers. Is there something wrong with using some flavor of USB? I have about 8 chargers for the Motorola Razr that are sitting useless right now, and hell if I can find a Jabra headset charger without going online.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I want a charger that packs up small, that I can take with me anywhere. As interesting as it looks, it's something that probably stays at home.

10. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

This is an induction charger. Those with Sonicare toothbrushes are already familiar with the concept... and how long it takes to charge a battery. I don't know if Palm has improved upon on the concept, but 24+ hours for a full charge isn't going to please many people if they end up paying the rumored $70 premium for it. No mention is ever made of the charge time in these hands-on previews, only "how cool it is." I just wonder if people aren't going to be disappointed once they actually use it.

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

pretty cool stuff...but really not the reason I'd move to the Pre. (if I were to..which I'm not)

12. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I'm not at all envious of the charger, but the OS on the other hand...

The way the Pre integrates messaging (SMS, IM, E-mail) seamlessly as well as contacts (email, phone, social networking, IM, etc.) is really nice.
    Also, the notification system is vastly superior to the iPhones.

And did I mention true multitasking?

That said, I'll be upgrading my iPhone 3G to the New 2009 iPhone this summer.
    I love the virtual keyboard and have money invested in Apps. Also, the iPod is far superior to any other phone's music player. And I'm not going to sprint.

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I don't like it at all. I like the fact that I can have my phone plugged in and I can pick it up to use it (calling, texting, and etc). It doesn't look like you can do that as easily with the Pre. How can you charger it in you car also? I'll just keep my old fashion plug in anyday.

14. 1Zach1 macrumors 6502a

1Zach1

"Wireless charging" will be good when you can have a base station and have the phone anywhere within range to have it charge.

15. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

It still charges with a plug-in charger... the touchstone is an accessory to it so its not mandatory that you use it.

16. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

It's really not all the practical it's the same as slipping your iPhone into the dock. It would be a winner if somehow it could be charged through the air (have no idea if that would ever be possible.)

But seriously, placing your Pre on the touchstone.

Placing your iPhone in the dock.

Both are 1 action therefore it gives me nothing. As someone said, gimmick.

17. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Although I wish we had such a charger, its not a deal breaker nor a something that would entice me to buy the Pre over the iPhone...

...Now multitasking and smoother interface, those are things that make me want the Pre, but I'm still thinking battery life will be terrible.

18. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Based on video I've seen of this in action, it seems like it's more trouble than convenient. It looked difficult to get the Pre to stay on that thing.

19. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

The G1 SUCKS. T-Mobile's service was a bit better coverage in my area, but I hated my G1. I was so envious of the iPhone. That's why I got one. :rolleyes:

Within two years:

Sprint
    Crappy flip phone -> Treo 650p -> Palm Centro -> Samsung Instinct (Or InSTINK as my family says.) -> T-Mobile G1 and crappy Motorola as backup -> AT&T iPhone 3G and Blackjack I as a backup.

20. Babybandit macrumors regular

Envy? No... It's a gimmick.

An induction charger for $70? My Toothbrush is way cheaper. They are making it seem as if an "Almighty, Supreme" technology... When I had it in my toothbrush for years.

I've had a hands-on (Kind-of) with the Pre and the Touch Stone from a tech conference... It's not as easy to make it hold steadily. And once, it nearly slipped and crashed to the floor.

I'd prefer old USB chargers. But that's just me.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't see a wireless charger but more importantly it doesn't bother me simply because I'll buy the pre if it continues to look that appealing.

22. acarney macrumors 6502

At first it looks really cool but then I start to think about how it would actually work and I'm thinking a dock would be better. I would worry about the charge time, I'm actually fairly impressed with the iPhone's quick to 80% charge time. I can be home for just half an hour getting ready to head to dinner or something and the phone can charge a great deal from 20% or something, if the induction charger can't do a fast charge like that it would be a waste of time for the cost. Second, I could see it being easy to knock it off the base when using the phone as an alarm and turning it off in the morning or something or accidentally having a book push up against it or something. At least with a dock that has a rubber base there's some resistance to know you're hitting something. Finally, it might be a little tricky to pick up the phone and text on it or something if laying in bed, I don't think it would be a problem massing out a text if standing above it but you might have to be a little careful with it.

I think the iPhone/iPod docks are great, I just wish they had a more universal size and then adapters for the phones or something. Or had thought out their headset a little bit better, or package them WITH the phones. It killed me that getting my 3G phone meant having to give up my 1st gen + headset dock. I also REALLY wish they had a longer cord, the MacBooks come with such a nice long cord I just wish the AC adapter or iPhone dock had a cord twice the length, if you don't have a plug RIGHT behind a nightstand or desk or something you're pretty much screwed or have it pulled really tight and bending near the connections of the dock or plug. Could I just have an extra two or three feet of cord please?!

23. ayasinsk thread starter macrumors regular

I do agree that the price is too much. It's a cool charger but $70 is too EXPENSIVE, and no data transfer.