Palm Pre + Ipod Touch = redundant?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RebootD, Sep 24, 2009.

1. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

I have fun-money burning a hole in my pocket and I want to spend it before something I actually need breaks :D

I own a Pre. I have my work and gmail pushing to it, iCal is able to sync but of course not iTunes. (Plus I like having a dedicated media device). I have an aging and cranky 5G iPod Video that is about to die so here is the question.

Is it too redundant to buy the iPod touch with the Pre being able to do most of the same things, or just get the 16GB Nano and save the cash for something else?

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I would say, get the touch, just because you're able to get wifi, applications, jailbreaking, etc. compared to the 16 gb nano...you'll get radio, video camera, music, and games. It's $100 more...but it's double in memory and capabilities. This would be a no-brainer for me ^_^

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I would say get the iPod touch. You can spend $149 on an iPod nano and get a video camera, but no App store, or you can spend the extra $50 and get an iPod touch and have access to the App store. In terms of a trade off I think its better to get the App store (or if you jailbreak, Cydia) than the nano's camera.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The iPod touch would be a nice addition. It would be your media player, games, or fun device. Your Pre would still organize your life and allow you to stay in contact with the world.

5. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

First, thank you everyone for not asking why I don't have an iPhone! Second, I'm actually surprised everyone thinks it wouldn't be too much of an overlap (which is good news for me).

I would definitely get the 32GB model (too bad the 64 is just too expensive).. I guess I need to invest in pants with more pockets now. :D

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Haha. Not a problem. I see people with BlackBerrys and still have an Ipod Touch lol. Both devices are capable of doing what the other can't. :p

7. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Blackberry + iPod Touch
    Android + iPod Touch
    Palm Pre + iPod Touch

Any combination is a good bet if you don't want an iPhone for some reason.

8. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I had a similar predicament about 3 months ago, only backwards. I have a 32gb iPod touch and wanted a smartphone, but could not get ATT, so iPhone was out of the running from the start. Anyway, enough about my thought processes; I bought myself a Blackberry Storm. Honestly, after that, I had little to no use for the non-regular-iPod functions of the iPod touch. It was pretty much relegated to Video and Music use only. About a week ago, I bought a new red 16gb nano, and it is AWESOME! I actually can't believe how much the iPod touch is missing in terms of media playback capabilities compared to these modern click wheel iPods. (My last click wheel iPod was the iPod 5g) It's almost incredible. Sure it doesn't have Wifi or the app store, but your Pre has data and its own app store. The only internet function I really used the touch for after I got the Blackberry was to buy songs on the iTunes store while mobile. That's really the only feature I miss on my nano, but I seldom used it anyway.

The Apple app store is nice, but it's not all that awesome. Seriously there are, 25,000 apps, and probably 2/3 of them do the same thing as another. Which really would bring the total number down to around 8,000 types of apps, of which you will probably only use around 5-6 apps daily (learned from experience), and if you don't play a lot of games, there really isn't a whole lot to get from the App Store at this point. Sure some apps are nice, like the Facebook iPhone app (much better than Blackberry and I don't think the Pre even has one) and BeeJive IM, but the big ones (like BeeJive) are actually available on other platforms too (there is a BeeJive for Blackberry).

I think you should seriously reconsider the nano and classic. The Classic may be a good choice if you just want no-frills pure storage space.

Also, the nano is so small you can carry both your Pre and Nano in your pocket without really even feeling the iPod. I know it's like that with my Storm.

9. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That's me! I am on Verizon and an iPhone is just not an option, so I have both. I'd VASTLY prefer a single device, but my Storm isn't good enough to retire the Touch.

10. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Yup. Iphone needs to come to Verizon...lol

11. copykris Suspended

copykris

could you elaborate on this cause i don't see how the touch is missing anything as far as 'media playback capabilities' go when compared to the nano

12. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Sure. The very first thing I noticed was the shuffle by album, which I actually found to be very useful. Next, it will speak song names and artists via VoiceOver, which is especially useful when it is in your pocket. I have iPhone style headphones with the button on them, and by holding down the button, it will say the name of the artist and song. Also, it has the option to crossfade between songs (I personally don't really like this since I tend to listen to a lot of live concerts). Additionally, the FM radio is very useful to have in order to find new music. I honestly didn't think I would really use it. This may seem a bit basic, but I really do think that the click wheel is still better for music playback simply because you don't need to look at the iPod to control it. It really just has more options.

13. copykris Suspended

copykris

cool

none of those would be of any use to me, but diff'rent strokes etc...

14. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

The Ipod Shuffle (newer version) can get complicated >_<

15. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

AT&T service is atrocious in my area (no 3G, no signal near home) so my wife and I got Pre's, a free Airave and unlimited everything for $129/mo.. hard to turn down =) I would have loved an iPhone but it just wasn't going to happen. (I also run a business out of my home and AT&T told me to stand outside to make/receive calls)

Anyway you do make some very valid points and that is why I brought it up because my fear was spending $280 on a new iPod Touch only to go "Hrmm... I really didn't need another calendar, map, web browser or compass... The attraction to me was being able to put all my music (I have about 18GB of music, I know it's not much by most people's standards) and videos, video podcasts, and music on a separate device because it kills my Pre battery in a mere 3 hours.

Bah I'm the worst at making decisions =)

16. asmallchild macrumors regular

Same here, I yearn for the day when I'm carrying one device. But VZW decided it would be a good idea to spurn the iPhone. Silly people.....

The Storm is great but still no iPhone.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

to get itunes to sync, just use doubletwist

as for being redundant, i have an ipod touch and an iphone and i do use them for seprate things

18. RebootD thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Thanks Everyone

Well I couldn't resist any longer so I splurged and got myself the 32GB Ipod Touch :D

After the initial "man that was a ton of cash for a music player!" moment I uploaded some apps (disgusting how much I love bubble wrap) and tried out the stock earbuds.. and tossed them aside and put in my Phillips SHE9500 and it was a world of difference. (they aren't audiophile level but noticeably fuller and more bass than the stock)

And wow this thing is speedy! It makes the web browser on my Pre (and older iPhones I've used) seem downright pokey by comparison.

I still have a lot more playing around to do but so far I'm very satisfied with the audio quality, speed and my future of too many apps. ;)