Palm Pre Now has Flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bodhi395, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10836.html

The Palm Pre is going to have Flash very soon. I'm very curious as to how flash will work on the Pre though, as in will it be able to access every flash video and play every flash game? Or be a crippled flash that can't actually play half the flash content on the web.

Either way, this still means the Pre has multitasking and at least some flash support, both lacking on the iphone. I think Apple needs to at least include on of those in the next version of the iphone software I hope will come out in the summer. My bets are on multitasking.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think this is the beating the dead horse syndrome. Really, if the Pre meets people's needs better for flash, multitasking, vibration effect whatever then buy it.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

... Nothing beats "Operation KickStart"

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'm with jessica on this. The iPhone is in it's third generation with sales going through the roof. Obviously people are choosing which features they want.

Do I care if the pre has flash? No
    would I buy a pre? No
    am I bothered by the lack of flash on the iPhone? No
    would I trade my iPhone in for another phone? No

5. Bodhi395 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not trying to convert anyone to the Pre, I'm just very interested in how flash will work on a smart phone.

I could either work fantastically or be buggy, crash the phone, and drain the battery, like Steve Jobs thinks.

I think flash on the pre and other smart phones is the true test of whether Apple is justified in not including flash on the iphone.

6. hsk macrumors regular

7. thetexan macrumors 6502a

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

flash is a drain on the battery so why would they include it? plus if you kept up with news you would know jobs isn't too happy with adobe

9. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I am biased. I am pro-Apple.

I honestly would not mind if someone called me a fanboy.

But I would never be so biased as to read the crap from Roughly Drafted.

C.

10. thetexan macrumors 6502a

They don't include it. It'll be an application that can be downloaded so it's an option. If it works great, if not don't install it or uninstall it.

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

12. Hbcyclone macrumors newbie

Well, Window sticker of my 2006 E55 AMG is showing 15-27 mpg, I never made it past 20-23 mpg, not even close.

Why? Because I drove this thing like I stole it, I drove this thing to it potential, I drove this thing the way it meant to be driven. I get lucky to get above 16-17 mpg. I know I can get gas anywhere I go, I pay to play. I never call up Mercedes to yell at them about the fuel economy. I know I can make it 27 mpg but that is not why I bought an AMG. I have an options of getting 15 mpg or 27 mpg by driving like a granny.

IMHO iPhone should have that option too. If I wanted to keep charging my iPhone every 3 hours then it’s my problem. If FLASH, background apps and multitasking suck up some battery – so be it. Let the end user made that choice if they want 3 days or 3-4 hours between charges.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

Edited your opening sentence to actually make sense :)

The problem with making it an "option" is that every tech savvy person understands the trade off, but the other 95%+ don't. They would turn on the option and enable it, then flood the Applecare phone lines complaining their iPad's battery sucks and they need a new device.

To your MPG comparison, I'd agree, which makes it all that much worse. Apple's claim to 10 hours of watching video will probably translate to 6 or 7 hours. Then add flashes wonderful resource gulping plug in and you would probably be looking at 2 or 3 hours tops. Apple would spend more money in phone bills at the Applecare center trying to explain how flash effects battery life then they will lose in sales.

Flash is not important. Content is. If the content providers see the iPad sell as well as the iPhone, they will find a way to get their content in from of the user base. Just as every gaming company has ported over their games for popular platforms. Xbox, PS3, Wii, PC, Gamboy's, Nintedo's, PSP's, iPhone's and iPT's.

Flash is only important to Adobe since it's a proprietary means of them controlling how the content is delivered. People cry foul that Apple is a closed system and then try to defend Adobe?? Rather ironic, and just shows how little people actually know about flash while trying to defend it. If iPad sales do well, it will drive developers to build new interfaces for their content. If not they won't. Simple as that.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

15. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Steve Jobs says a lot of crap that isn't true because he's a salesman. Like jailbreakers are criminals aiding terrorism, for example. :D WinMo has had Flash for a long time and I never noticed it drain the battery any faster than usual. If I need it that badly on the iPhone, I'll RDP into a desktop and use it from there.

16. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's because you're distracted by all the other issues when using a WM device.

17. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

In all honesty, I fail to see the need for flash on the iPhone to begin with. I rarely, if at all, use Safari on the iPhone.

18. polotska macrumors 6502

I don't own a webOS device—but from my limited experience, webOS is really good. It's a pity that webOS devices aren't gaining any traction and that Palm seems doomed; competition is good, after all.

Having Flash isn't going to make a difference.

19. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Steve is right about flash draining battery at least flash video, i installed iMobileCinema through Cydia and just watching 20 mins of video i saw my battery drain from full to about 1/4. However im not sure if a official adobe version would drain the same amount of battery. Honestly I can stand going without flash i have gone without it for 2 years. However the one thing Apple really needs for the iPhone is multitasking which is wayyyy over due. And if apple is concerned about battery performance why not have it as a option to turn it on and off like you can for 3g?

20. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Um....no. I actually have a couple, they work fine. And they both make the iPhone look second rate as far as reception and voice calls. Never had the Fuze or Tilt drop a call from home. The iPhone can't maintain a connection longer than 5 minutes, ever. No "seems" or "I think", that's the fact, Jack. So lighten up, Francis.

21. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

It's no more a problem with Flash than it is with anything else that throws a lot of stuff on the screen and out the speakers constantly. Slingplayer and Orb suck that battery dry fast, too, as does running more than a couple of programs at a time. The iPhone isn't really any different than any other phone as far as hardware, except that almost every other phone lets you swap out the battery.

22. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Ya dude, you really should lighten up.

Why are you here on an iPhone forum when you obviously prefer WM?

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I agree. WebOS > iPhone OS 3.x by a longshot. If I could get WebOS on iPhone hardware I'd have the perfect smartphone. I'm a Droid user now but I'm keeping an eye out to see what iPhone 4.0 and WebOS looks like this summer.

24. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think webos is better than iphone os 3.x, not by a long shot, not even by a bit. it's definitely a different flavor, and it has its audience. the multitasking and the notifications (i think its greatest strength) are nice, but you end up missing the super smooth scrolling, the multitude of apps (try to find a decent twitter app on the pre), and the overall polish and maturity of the iphone platform.

just one example is the calendar app. the syncing with google calendar sucks. actions on the phone wouldn't always match google's webpage, and i'd often be stuck with missing or duplicate events. no amount of resetting, re-syncing, etc. solved the situation; it was just unreliable. also, try moving from one day to the next on the palm pre. takes forever. i could browse a full week by the day on the iphone before the pre loads the second day. the iphone's overall user experience completely trumps that of webos.

to be on topic, the pre's browsing experience is sluggish, and i don't expect that to improve with flash 10.1. who knows? maybe the situation is much improved with the pre plus (unavailable on sprint, btw), but i doubt it.

25. prnsr82 macrumors member

So it has flash *yawn*

Its not like just by having flash you now have some magical powers or something. Congratulations you now see 95% more web advertisements then iPhone users. Its not like you can play flash games or anything, since that requires a mouse/pointer. To which someone will bring up they can watch Hulu. Ok I concede you can watch Hulu, but you settled for a sub-par phone/platform for 1 website ....

I digress.