Palm Pre - Patent Violations?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by redman042, Jan 9, 2009.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

Looking for input from folks who really understand the Apple patents and what they do/don't cover. I saw some videos online of the Pre in action, and it is showing multitouch gestures, and pinch zoom on the browser. Can someone tell me how this is not going to result in a lawsuit from Apple?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Do they have patents on the ones you've mentioned in the first place?
    If they are please point me to the right direction, I can't seem to find it on Google. [though I may stand corrected] I guess Palm Pre wouldn't release those kind of features if they had patents in the first place (else that will be a big lawsuit)

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Unless they licensed them.

4. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I also find it weird that Amazon can patent "one click buy" and RIM can patent "push email" and some random company can patent "voicemail in a list" but Apple can't seem to patent anything that makes the iPhone an iPhone.

I don't know much about patents and such (though I'm sure MacRumors has many members who have "worked in patents field as an expert for 15 years ;)), so I hope someone can shed some light.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I was just going to point that out. :eek:

There is nothing stopping Apple or any company from licensing, for a nice royalty, their patents…

It all adds to income.

That of course is with the proviso that Apple actually has water-tight patents. Remember Stevo is a great "talker".

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

To avoid a patent violation, all Palm has to do is slightly change the coding for the multi-touch screen. There is an asus netbook out right now that has a multitouch screen. We haven't heard any rumblings from Apple about this.

For example, not so much with technology, but ever wonder how all these drugs that do the same thing come out? There are many statin drugs (cholesterol lower meds) on the market that all do the exact same thing. They all have patents on them. The way that they avoid a patent violation is they very very slightly change the molecular formula or structure of the chemical. They can't change it too much or it won't bind the enzyme it has to inhibit. Look at any other technology; cars, TVs, stereos, etc. They all have their own proprietary patented feature that do the same thing, but there are no violations per se.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Both multi-touch and pinch are well over a decade old. Apple invented neither.

There are patent applications for some iPhone specific algorithms, but it's not hard to get around those kinds of patents. You just do things slightly differently.

You have to remember: Jobs is a salesman, not an engineer or designer like some seem to think. He's very good at picking out things people will like, and he's very good at verbally selling them. And he's exceptionally good at verbal misdirection.

Where do you think the term RDF came from? :)

8. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Please, stop! Tell me no more, you're breaking my heart! Steve Jobs did invent the cellphone!

*not listening, not listening, la la la la la*

:p

9. The General macrumors 601

I guess it would be this one:
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=cWiiAAAAEBAJ

It's just an application.,

10. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Multi-Touch existed before the iPhone...iPhone only made it popular

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

why do you care, apple have lwayers.

14. firewood macrumors 604

Apple has UI patents. Palm has UI patents. Sabers will be rattled. Maybe the lawyers will make gazillions exchanging lawsuit threats. But in the end there will very likely be a settlement and a cross-licensing agreement.

15. mags631 Guest

I missed that flight to Kiev that last time I flew through SJC. :)

16. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

no. Apple only used the name multi-touch (with trumpets and drums) to refeer to the software that fingerworks had patented.

here you can find some hints.

17. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

It seems everything's a patent violation these days. Just the other day, I went to the bathroom (a number #2) only be sued by my neighbor claiming he did that before I did. What is this world coming tooo!!!!!! ;)

18. bearbear macrumors regular

Finger gestures by themselves can't be patented.

19. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This explanation is flawed on so many levels it begs the question: why do people insist on posting if they don't have any idea what they are talking about? Is it the internet equivalent of people who simply like to hear themselves speak?

20. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

In a word: yes.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You sure? I heard New York Mets fans hold a patent on the middle-finger salute.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I found it hilarious when I saw somewhere dealing with iTunes that Amazon had a patent on "one-click." I'm assuming it's some code behind the feature that is used and not just the darn name, but it just sounds hilariously like patenting a sunrise.

23. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Patents are the worst thing ever. Get rid of it!

24. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

This is a method for present & store gestures ex: a control panel!
    apple don't patented the pinch and zoom

25. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I couldn't agree more. I have spent the whole day planning and plotting on a way. :D