Palm Pre Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mediamab, Nov 2, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

So..

I love my iphone and my contract in the Uk is sooning coming up for renewal.

Im looking at my options and im considering trying a palm pre.

I just wandered if a few of my questions could be answered =D

// Will mobileMe run as flawlessly as on an iPhone will all features?

// Does the pre support flash based websites?

// What is the app offering?

// My work has recently opened up its exchange email to support iPhone as well as blackberry - does this mean the pre would work too? Or would I have to go back to having a blackberry?

Many Thanks for helping!

Regards

Martin

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

-Pre supports Exchange

-I dont think Mobile Me will work (Apple tech)...you're best bet is to transfer to Google

-No flash support

-Only about 300 apps

3. OrangeCrush macrumors member

Avoid the Pre if your goal is to sync with iTunes. Although Palm is playing a cat and mouse game (they think) with Apple, it's really the Pre users who are losing. The sync works one day, doesn't the next. Really, Palm needs to develop their own software akin to Blackberry, rather than try to pass their unit off as an iPod.

4. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies...

im really not interested in itunes syncing - i use my ipod for music and not really my iphone...

is it a definite that mobile me will not work on the pre? or is it a wait until someone can try it?

regards

5. VforVelveta macrumors regular

VforVelveta

I'd say it's pretty much definite. Mobile Me is an Apple service intended for Apple devices running Apple software (the exception being Mobile Me on Windows, but even for that you need the Mobile Me control panel...). Unless Palm hacks the Pre to look like an iPhone, which, judging by history isn't entirely out of the question, the Pre isn't going to be working with Mobile Me anytime soon. A better solution (and one that I use for my iPhone) is to sync Mail/iCal/Address Book or Outlook with Google, then use Google's Exchange Sync to link your phone. That way, all three (computer, cloud, phone) stay in sync, and you don't have to pay a fee every year :)

6. brendu macrumors 68020

no phones currently support flash in their browsers (that im aware of) but the pre will be the first (assuming im correct that none have it yet) it should be up and running early 2010.

7. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

well the flash support would be amazing and a real push...

I just really do want mobileMe to run on it... even just the email as push and the contacts.. thats all im really after - i dont really want to be using multiple accounts...

if anyone has tested and confirmed working or not please do let me know =D

8. brendu macrumors 68020

9. Melodic macrumors member

I have a Pre and mobileme email works fine (yes with push) on the Pre. It even auto configures everything for you. For contacts I sync with google and its seamless right now. I haven't tried to sync iCal with the pre calendar yet because I don't use it much.
    Exchange email works fine and the number of available apps is growing steady every week.

Its a nice phone but its still version 1.X so some things still need work