Palm Pre Reviews are flooding out

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by clevin, Jun 3, 2009.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the hardware is ugly, but the software looks pretty good

2. liptonlover macrumors 6502a

It looks like a fisher price toy... wtf were they thinking?!?!

As for the software... to be honest I wanted better. It obviously hasn't quite gotten away from the old palm UI which though I'm nostalgic for, isn't a 21st century design. I haven't actually used it though, so I'm still optimistic.

3. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I think the pebble shape looks very nice, but I don't like the keyboard and I really don't care for the interface design at all - it's snappy at first glance but would be a terror to use regularly every day. For me at least it would get tiring on the eyeballs.

....aaaaand that calendar app icon is a big rip from iCal. Way to reinvent yourself, Palm :rolleyes:

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'll give everyone a run down:

It's awesome!
    It has a great OS
    It has an okay/poor keyboard
    It has okay battery life
    It has a nice notification system
    It does multitasking well

but we all already knew that...

5. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I like some things a lot, some not so much. There are elements of the UI that I like and some that are just too bubbly.

I think it's a good competitor for the iPhone but I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, the software looks nice, but i'll keep my iphone for now

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Seems like the major complaint is with the build quality. Most everyone seems to really like the OS.

8. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

Giz complains the edge is too sharp and plastic feeling. Most other reviews don't fault build quality, they might call it "good, but not exceptional", they don't really call it "bad".

I am not sure how they can make this not plastic feeling, since it is made of plastic, with the shape of the item (not square in any sense, engadget call it a river rock feeling when closed) and gesture area design, it might well be the best course of action, both economically, and functionally.

more pics (from palminfocenter http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9813/palm-pre-review/) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]