Palm Pre vs iPhone video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Palm Pimp, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Why? Its a legitimate comparison.

3. cmgerber macrumors member

That was a pretty bad comparison. the pre never even finishes loading the web page the whole time he is trying to show the scrolling.

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Um... yes it did.

5. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

Actually it was. The official page for the Pre is optimized for the Pre, so there's no scrolling to do.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

A very good comparison. As far as appearence goes the larger screen on the iPhone is a big plus for me. I don't want to be pulling out my reading glasses.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Pointless. The video starts off with the reason:

That's true for 1 moth. For the following 11 months, the Pre's biggest competitor will be the 2009 iPhone.

So this video compares the Pre to the competition it will face for 9% of its life and not what it will face for the final 91% of its life.

Wake me when they post the new comparison videos next month. That's what really matters.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Many of the comparisons in the video (except for the quickness of the accelerometer) are software based. He explained that the iPhone 3G is older hardware so it makes sense why the Pre would be faster. The 3.0 software will be the same on the iPhone 3G and the 09 iPhone - so I would say that most the comparisons in the video are valid.

9. Palm Pimp thread starter macrumors regular

Palm Pimp

I guess we'll see tomorrow. Keep in mind though that even with super software updates, the iPhone would have to get these added to the hardware to match certain aspects of the Pre

a) offscreen gestures areas
    b) physical keyboard or enhanced haptic feedback to the virtual keyboard
    c) microUSB slots, removable battery, etc
    d) processor and RAM upgrade to handle multitasking
    e) better speaker (well actually both phones need better speakers, they both SUCK

Really think all that stuff, plus super software upgrades beyond the current 3.0 software upgrade is gonna happen tomorrow? We'll see.

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

Those videos are POINTLESS! You CANNOT compare the 3G iPhone to the Palm Pre, when we know the new iPhone is being announced soon.

iPhone 2009 vs. Palm Pre is will more like.

I'm pretty sure they're going to be new things added to 3.0 that we don't know about. Do you really thing Apple will introduced ALL the big features in 3.0 before the conference? I don't think so.

Let's hope for multi-tasking. The new iPhone will quite possibly have double the ram and a better processor, so it should be capable.

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Why do you feel the need to keep posting new threads on an iPhone forum? We get it. You like the Pre. You don't like the iPhone (in comparison).

Now can we all move on?

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

A) Ehh, kinda pointless
    B) I doubt we'll see a physical keyboard; you can jailbrake for haptic feedback.
    C) Ehh, I don't think so
    D) Its a given they'll do this.
    E) Its a given they'll do this.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

And why do you keep posting topics about the Palm Pre? We don't care! But we will put you in your place, though. :rolleyes:

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the one I really care about because, in addition to multitasking, it affects web browser performance, multitouch responsiveness, and application performance.

So things I care about the most are the things that really needs a head-to-head test to know anything about.

All that other stuff you listed (keyboard? USB slot?) are things we could know from reading blogs online months ago. The point of making a comparison video is to learn the things we CAN'T learn from lists! You know...like speed tests.

The fact that your list of important features is filled with things that don't need a video shows just how pointless the video is. A video will be very, very useful NEXT month.

But not yet.

15. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Just released products always win over rumored, imaginary products.

Sorry just realized the title of the thread may just mean a video not the rumored iPhone vIdeo. LOL My apologies it is late here

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

true, also - i just can't get past all of the great apps available

17. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

bame should have been fixed to name. bame must just be someone in his contacts. he fails at being non-bias.

18. slapppy macrumors 65816

Too bad for him the hype is not living up to real world use. :D

19. jjprusk macrumors member

Palm Pre vs. iPhone video

a) don't care
    b) perfectly happy with iPhone keyboard
    c) Why would I want a microUSB slot (I have enough memory, especially if Apple increases to 32GB). External battery for backup, such as Richard Solo, works fine for me.
    d) more than likely since it was a year ago for the 3g intro
    e) more than likely

20. ebika macrumors 6502

I think this goes back to the recent agreement between 17 mobile phone manufacturers that agreed by 2012 to standardize on micro USB as the charge/communications port. Personally, needing fewer cables between devices is nice, but I doubt I'll ever benefit from it in any meaningful way (old gadgets, new ones that buck the trend, etc will make the micro USB standard on phones mostly pointless for me).

21. The General macrumors 601

a) Do not want.
    b) Do not want.
    c) Do not want.
    d) Want, and we'll probably get it tomorrow.
    e) Want, and we'll probably get it tomorrow.

22. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Also if he is going to compare websites and how each scrolls or switches to landscape to portrait he should be using the same website.

23. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

a)to me... offscreen gestures could be useful in some games.. quake4iphone is very hard to play.. then again it is a poor port.

b)physical keyboard isn't a feature. it's one or the other, it's a feature when the latter works.

c)removable battery would be cool i guess, but in the time for one to actually go bad, you can upgrade to the 5th gen iPhone... mine lasts for days

d)tomorrow

e)don't really care about the speaker... that's what headphones are for.