Palm Rest and MBP Body Protector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Oct 25, 2009.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hello guys,
    I just place an order for the 15" Antiglare MBP 2.8Ghz. I was just wondering, what do you guys use for protecting the body of the mbp and its palm rest? Been searching in this forum quite a while and I found out that most people here put Invisible Shield on their MBPs. What about the palm rest? Do you put one on yours?

Are there any good recommendation besides the Invisible Shield?

Thank you so much. Comments will be much appreciated.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would use an invisible shield. And you can find trackpad protectors to buy online. I know they make the for the white MacBooks. I wouldn't put a protector on for the trackpad, because the only reason that I would use one is to protect the computer from discoloration. But that isn't a problem for the aluminum.

3. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Thanks for your fast response. Which one do you think is better, Bodyguardz or InvisibleShield? I searched this forum and still havent figure out the best answer yet.

What about the palm rest? Does the Invisible SHield protector good enough? My brother used Moshi protector for his 13" MBP and it added a bit bulk when lid closed. And also the feel is not good!

Does anyone has any other recommendation besides this two for palm rest? Sorry to ask a lot of question, but I'm really confuse right now.

4. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

Many Choices!

Hello!
    Personally, I would go for a Gelaskins for the protection of the top lid. As they say, protect with style, not bulk! If you don't like Gelaskins, maybe InvisibleSHIELD is the best idea, but I would recommend a Hardshell (Take your pick: Speck or Incase)

If you are the bulk person, though, I would recommend purchasing an Incase protective cover for your MacBook Pro, as well as a Neoprene Cover if you've got some cash to burn.

For your palmrest, since you don't like Moshi's palmguards, I recommend Power Support's wrist rug. I've tried Moshi's palmguards, and they just feel very strange. Power Support's wrist rug is soft and smooth, and is very comfortable. It doesn't stain, and does not leave adhesive marks on the laptop when removed.

If you do buy the Power Support wrist guard, do not put on the trackpad cover. (or any trackpad cover, in that matter. Especially Moshi's, as it screwed up my trackpad with erratic movements).

Good luck!

5. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

6. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

The Moshi palmguard is not really color matched, for your information.
    It is also very hard to remove once you've placed it on, and leaves adhesive marks behind.

7. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Yes, the color of the Moshi palmguard is not exactly match the MBP aluminum case. Also, it is thick that makes your MBP not evenly closed when the lid is closed (Sorry for the bad language). I found Marware http://www.marware.com/products/MacBookPro/Silicone-Protection-Pack . How do you guys think of this product? The reason I'm not using the protector from the Invisible Shield is because it sometimes gets too sticky which is not very nice.

8. lhlee96 macrumors member

lhlee96

Review on Palmguards

The Marware palmguard is not very good.
    It does not cover the computer from side to side- instead, there are just two patches which you stick on the palmrest. It is unattractive, and the silicone invites dust.

I picked up almost every type of palm guard to try on my brand new MacBook Pro, and I'd have to say Power Support is the best. It's soft, and feels good as it is made out of a microfiber suede.

The Moshi is the most common. Many people buy it because it is the only choice. It feels rough, and it is not color matched (of course, the one on the site looks as if it matches it very well!)