Palm said to be up for sale

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by str1f3, Apr 11, 2010.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not surprised..... I think every one was counting the days until something like this was announced.

2. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I have very little opinion of this. Why does it make you so happy?

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This makes me sad. I have had many Palm OS devices over the years starting with a Vx. Their PDAs were great devices.

4. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Oh HTC, you maker of amazing hardware PLEASE BUY PALM.

5. troop231 macrumors 603

Exactly, this is why I'm happy: webOS software + HTC will fuel more competition from Apple

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Palm and HTC would be wonderful if there is some melding of hardware and webos. As much as I've enjoyed palms gear times change....

7. tuhoops macrumors member

tuhoops

I read where HTC and Lenovo are interested, and it could happen this week. Dell took a look but decided to pass. To me, it might make sense for Apple or Google to buyout Palm, that is, if the value is there. Palm's patents seem attractive.

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

While that would be good, there might be a better chance of Lenovo buying Palm. On the other hand, if HTC buys Palm, that might mean that they won't be supplying Google (which would now be a direct competitor) with handsets anymore, which means that the company most likely to push Apple's innovation will have to look elsewhere for really good hardware.

9. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Really sucks. WebOS kicks ass. Hopefully someone like HTC picks them up and does something awesome with it.

10. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I like Palm but I dislike HTC... It would be interesting to see what of Palms products (if any) HTC would use/modify!

11. BigOrangeSU macrumors regular

This does suck because we need companies that seriously have the hardware and software that have potential to compete with the iphone to drive apple to be very competitive and to continuously be releasing and updating products vigorously.

12. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

If HTC buys palm and gets its patents, apple will no longer have a case against HTC. Palms patents are invaluable. That is why apple never sued Palm.

13. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Palms Future

Palm is dead. Their technology will be sold off a piece at a time, the company as a whole is worthless compared to their debt. Biggest mistake Palm ever made "shelving BeOS" I loved it and used it. Biggest mistake made by BeOS selling to Palm.

14. troop231 macrumors 603

This :)

15. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Wow. I was watching some palm WebOS reviews with the pre and pixi yesterday.

I was thinking of grabbing a gsm pre to play with as WebOS does look interesting! :(

16. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

WebOS won't go away. Like its been said, Palm has the OS and patents to make them a valuable buy.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow - on one hand its a bit surprising that it fell into place so quick but on the other, the writing on the wall was there.

Too bad, I owned a palm pilot years ago, it was a great device. One thing I noticed back then was they never updated the OS, they promised this mythical upgrade that never materialized. They lost marketshare and energy because of that.

Webos on paper seems to be a decent OS, but they took too long to get it out, they've really dragged their feet on the SDK and for some bizarre reason they had this itunes fixation which took time, resources and money to build/maintain which ultimately did not pay off for them

HTC seems to be the best partner, but then I wonder if this would jeopardize the google/HTC relationship

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

WebOS on an HTC large screen chassis would be an incredible device... and credible competition.

19. str1f3 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kind of amazing to see that the Pre has only been out for 10 months and Palm is already closing up shop.

20. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

21. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

They are not closing up shop. They are offering themselves for sale. Someone will purchase them. If no one does then they might have to file bankruptcy which does not necessarily mean that they close down.

22. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Too bad. Palm had/has a lot of promise. They just didn't keep up with everyone trend-wise. You have to innovate or risk becoming stale.

23. troop231 macrumors 603

Exactly why Apple is king in innovation and isn't stale.