Palm to iTouch Conversion

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2mnybugs, Sep 13, 2009.

1. 2mnybugs macrumors newbie

I have some questions before jumping from my Palm Tungsten E2 to the new iTouch. My primary use of the iTouch will be as a PDA and music machine. I am still using a Windows XP computer but plan to migrate to an iMAC in the future. Thanks for your inputs.

1. Can standard earphones be used with the new iTouch?
    2. Can a stand-alone microphone be plugged into the earphone jack and use the speaker for VoiP connections?
    3. If one doesn’t use iPhoto or Adobe Photoshop Elements how do you move .jpg photos to the iTouch? How about videos? The manual is not at all clear or encouraging.
    4. Is the connector on the bottom of the new iTouch compatible with devices used with the older iPods? I have adapter cables and a speaker/Amplifier unit into which I plug my current iPod Nano.
    5. Do any of you know a good conversion program to sync Palm Desktop software to the newest iTouch for contacts and calendar?
    Thanks again for your assistance.

2. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

1. Yes. 3.5mm headphone jack is what it uses.
    2. I don't think so.
    3. No idea on photos. I use iPhoto in OSX, and have never used an iPod with Windows. Videos are synced from iTunes and need to be h.264 baseline profile level 3.0 (up to 1500 kbps) with AAC audio (up to 160 kbps).
    4. Most devices yes, as long as the iPod touch physically fits the dock (if not a cable). However, it may not charge when attached to some of these devices, as it does not support FireWire charging.
    5. I don't believe such a thing exists. I think you can do it through Outlook, but I'm not familiar with the process of getting stuff from Palm Desktop to Outlook either.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

broken-chaos already provided good information for questions 1, 2, and 4.
    I'll offer some input on 3 and 5 however.

3. On Windows, Pictures sync with specific folders that you designate, if you don't have a photo management application installed.
    5. You may have to contact Palm, but I'm pretty sure you can export from Palm Desktop to .ics or tab-delimited/CSV/vCard/LDIF which can correspondingly be imported into iCal and Address Book respectively, and then to the iPod touch.

4. thefatmould macrumors member

4. Yes it is, though how old is the accessory and what generation is your Nano as older accessories have been locked out by apple using special chips in newer iPod models.