Palm Treo 650

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hello i am looking to get a Palm Treo 650, i picked this because i would like to take video/photos, use it as a mobile phone and be able to check my email. The bad thing it is that it has no wi-fi but i can live without it.

Does anyone have any expireance or had a chance to use it?

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
The camera has VGA resolution (640x480) which is not very much. Not your average photo/video monster. Some gsm's come with a megapixel camera these days.

But the treo sure looks like a good deal. My dad will prolly order one soon so some user comments would be nice indeed.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I have a treo 600 and I intend to upgrade to the 650 whenever Verizon gets around to supporting it. The biggest drawback (to me) is the low res screen on the 600. My 3 year old Sony Clie T615 has a high res screen. Apparently the camera is a lot better on the 650, plus it has bluetooth, a high res screen and a built in (software) MP3 player. Overall I am very satisfied with the 600, although (a) I have not had it long enough to see how reliable it is and (b) the data plan from Verizon is crazy expensive.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Oh yeah-- regarding wi-fi-- I read somewhere that a wi-fi card for the 650 should be produced some time this year for about $150 (3 months of Verizon unlimited data plan). Google treo 650 wifi-- it may have been on Engadget. :cool:

r6girl

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
Massachusetts
i had a treo 600 and thought it was just okay, then sold it and switched to a symbian smartphone (nokia 6620) and a separate pda (tungsten t5). so, i don't have anything to share with you, except a great resource that i used when i had my treo: www.treocentral.com

lots of reviews and other information there. best of luck in finding what you're looking for!

marianne

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
r6girl said:
i had a treo 600 and thought it was just okay, then sold it and switched to a symbian smartphone <snip>
Why did you switch, if i may ask?
Not bothered by changing from 1 to 2 devices?

Thx and goodnight for now.

r6girl

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
Massachusetts
redeye_be said:
Why did you switch, if i may ask?
Not bothered by changing from 1 to 2 devices?

Thx and goodnight for now.
at first, i thought that having one device instead of a separate pda and cell phone was a great idea. however, i really overlooked what i do most with my pda. i read ebooks (i prefer this than to buying real books - a small gesture on my part to help save at least a few trees :p) often, play games when i'm waiting somewhere (everywhere - on the subway, in the doctor's office, waiting for a movie to start), and i write myself reminders and to-do's whenever i think of them. well, the treo 600 has a tiny screen and no graffiti input (which is faster for me than a tiny keyboard). reading ebooks (especially on the lo-res screen) was painful on the treo, and games just weren't that enjoyable. plus, it's shaped more like a cell phone, of course, and i like to read ebooks in landscape mode, and this just didn't work well. also, there were some navigational things with the treo that just irked me a bit and i really did hate the lo-res screen. from what i've read, the 650 sounds like a great improvement over the 600 for the most part, but i'm really liking my large-screen t5 and my current cell phone does just what i need and no more.

marianne

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
r6girl said:
i read ebooks (i prefer this than to buying real books - a small gesture on my part to help save at least a few trees :p)
Thx! :)
a longer/wider :confused: ;) display when using landscape is nicer indeed.
r6girl said:
the treo 600 has a tiny screen and no graffiti input (which is faster for me than a tiny keyboard).
graffiti is great indeed, i use a Zire 71 myself. I just installed Graffiti Anywhere thx to you, and i love it ! it's great. it enables u to write anywhere on the screen ! (but maybe that's possible in the newer models - didn't find that info on the palm pages)
EDIT: found this option in the preferences, no need for third part software :eek: ;) :p
the keyboard on the treo, i don't like either. the SE p9xx has a much better solution, at least they offer u the option of taking it of.
r6girl said:
i'm really liking my large-screen t5 and my current cell phone does just what i need and no more.
:rolleyes: you pwn me there ;) on picture the corners do seem a little sharp though (just helping myself cope, sry)

thx for your insights!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.