Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pupfactor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
new york city
As a long-time palm treo user considering switching to iphone 3G concerned about options for tasks. I am looking for a task application that can be used offline, has categories, the ability to attach notes and most importantly provide option of repeating tasks (daily, monthly, every 2 weeks etc) and that can sync with my desktop. I am used to adding/editing and checking off tasks on a daily basis from my phone whether or not I have reception and am highly reliant on this feature. Any suggestions? Any free options?

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to hear people's experiences. I'm gunna try some of the apps, but have to wait for my phone first!!

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
can you not use the calendar?
have different calendars for different category
calendar items can have notes
they can be set to repeat
and can sync with a desktop app

then you have several calendar groups. one group for tasks/todo and one as an actual calendar
in my calendar program:
Picture2-1.png

on the iPhone:
IMG_0001-1.png
IMG_0002.png
IMG_0003.png
IMG_0004.png

this is a free solution
there are paid for alternatives, such as omnifocus but the iphone and desktop app are $100 in total

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I'm not sure about the features that you need, however between the calendar and the app store, you may be able to find something that you need. I did just want to say though that the iphone is SOOO much better than the Treo!
I had a Treo before and gave it up after only a few months because it was too much of a pain to use and just had too many things I didnt like about it.
I was leery of getting the iphone at first in fear that it might be another Treo situation, but I am so pleased with my iphone! A world of difference from the Treo.
The only thing I can suggest is to either play with one at an Apple store, and/or go into iTunes and browse the app store to see if there is anything that would work for you.

pupfactor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
new york city
Thank you for the ical suggestion!

Has anyone used omnifocus? I understand they do not have repeating tasks? How easily does it sync with desktop version?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Has anyone used omnifocus? I understand they do not have repeating tasks? How easily does it sync with desktop version?
nope not used it, but from what i can work out is that repeating tasks need to be set up on the mac application, then synced over, although the ability to create repeating tasks may be added to the iphone in the future
sync requires mobileme, which i didnt realise, which is a further $100 a year! or you can set up a WebDAV account, but this is apparently very complicated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.