Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ynkeclpr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
I Would Apprreciate Any Feedback....trying To Decide Which To Purchase....the Palm Treo Or The Blackberry, And I Am Not Sure Which Brand Is More Compatable With Mac For Email Use....
Thank You For Any Info That Could Be Used.

vamp07

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
I find the palm to be a far more useful and flexible device. I have owned and used both.

white89gt

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2006
I have a Treo 650 and I love it. The only bad thing about the new Treos, the 700W, is that they're running Windows Mobile edition. I've never used a blackberry so I can't comment on how good they are. I can say that I'm keeping the Treo as long as it will work.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
Are you using it primarily for mobile email or PDA functions? I think Blackberry is more optimized better for the former, while Treo good at both.

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
vamp07 said:
The same instant email notificatiosn you get with baclkberry can be achieved with a treo running an imap client such as chattermail http://www.chatteremail.com/ . You will also need an imap email account you can forward your email to. Something like http://www.fastmail.fm or aol's free email.

Interesting. Would Treo's built-in mail client (Versamail) work in this regard, i.e. instant notification? I believe it does support imap.

vamp07

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2005
Probably would but chattermail is really solid in regards to its support of imap.

Stinz12

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
I would say the Palm Treo is overall better than the blackberry in PDA funtions and email functions.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Please note that one CANNOT install the Blackberry Desktop Management software on the Mac. It's PC only. So if you need that for any reason, you are SOL.

Michael7k

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2005
I utilized the Blackberry for 13 months before moving to the Treo 650. My complaints were voice level, color, and the control wheel. On the 650 I enjoy the touch screen with setting sections quick to access. In my opinion I feel the PDA function of the Palm is superior. The Treo, also has a handy download, Volume Care, that increases the voice and ring levels greatly which has been a benefit. I have read of phone shut-offs yet this has not been a problem for me.

Good luck on your choice.

Michael

sprstu

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
white bear lake, mn
im having an issue with my treo not fully loading data onto my macbook pro. They both know of each others existance, and some of the cal from the treo has made it over to iCal, but not all of it. Also, the Hotsync manager cannot locate the treo.
Anyone have an idea why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.