Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Which one would you get? Im going to use it for internet browsing mainly, and maybe put some videos on it.. After your done, they are about the same price.. the tx is a hundred dollars cheaper, but i will need to buy the memory cards anyways.. WHen the lifedrive has a built in hd..

Which one should i get?

Also is there some sort of program for the palm that maybe would be like netmedia or ichat, that i can use for voice conferences? That way i can have my parents sit on the computer and talk threw the microphone and i could talk back using my palm.. That would be really cool!

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The Lifedrive is slow because of the hard drive, and it gets hot and has poor battery life, It's also pretty big compared to the TX. Seeing as you can get 4GB SD cards for undrer $100, I'd say go for the TX because of it's battery life, thinness, speed, and price.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have TX and LD and use them both daily. I have demoted (if I can use that term) my LD to TomTom/Palm GPS Navigation while I use TX on the daily scheduling/contact management. I have ben using LD for contact managment before TX; as the previous poster said LD has some lags because of how that unit is set up (with the HD and all). TX is snappier compared to LD because it stores date on the flash memory.

It is good I was able to find the job for LD as I might have ended up not using it now that I have TX. With tne navigation, LD now has been able to serve me (with its large capacity, it was able to download entires USA/Canada maps) with the data imported from TX.

TX is also very light compared to LD (I cannot call them heavy as it is just a PDA). With a Piel Froma leather case with a belt clip, it stays on my belt when I go out.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So how well does iSync work with the Tx? My girlfriend is getting me one through her company (only $105!) and I was trying to figure out if I needed the Missing Sync software or anything else to make it work right.

jW

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
skywalker said:
So how well does iSync work with the Tx? My girlfriend is getting me one through her company (only $105!) and I was trying to figure out if I needed the Missing Sync software or anything else to make it work right.

jW

Should work fine with iSync. Can she get me one? I'd be willing to pay a commission :D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I have not used iSync for my TX and LifeDrive yet. I have been using BT HotSync with my Mac as I use Palm Desktop. If you are using Palm Desktop with your Mac, there is no need for a 3rd party conduit for HotSync.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
MovieCutter said:
Should work fine with iSync. Can she get me one? I'd be willing to pay a commission :D

Yeah, I'd be up for that too! :cool:

YS, does HotSync come with the TX?

ro.hernandezz

macrumors newbie
TX Experience

I just bought a Palm TX Yesterday [Sadly it cost a lot more that $100] and I've been very happy with it [When I finally got it working]. It's supposed to work easy with macs out of the box, but that wasn't the case for me. I had some problems because i had a very old version of palm desktop with prefs and user files all over tha place. When I deleted the old software [Thanks AppZapper...] and reinstalled everything from scratch It was a breeze to set up iSync and Bluetooth Hotsync. So far I have not noticed problems with HotSyncing and the process is painless.

So If you'r planning on getting this PDa i'd highly recomend it for it's great quality and relatively easy Mac compatibility

calirodan

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
TX Compatability Issues

I just got a TX, and I think I like it -- it's nice being able to check my email with my PDA from a hotspot at school. I'm having trouble using some of the other features that make it different than the m500 I've been using for several years. Does anyone know anything about any of the following?

-- How do I delete files from the Palm desktop? I can't find a delete feature on the TX for applications that won't open, and I also can't find these applications in the Palm computer file so I can delete them.

-- How do I download a Microsoft Word document into Palm? I dragged it into the "Send to Handheld" app. but I couldn't get the document to show in my Adobereader or Dataviz "Word to Go". Do we have to pay extra for the Dataviz app., or am I doing something wrong?

-- I've read nebulous and contradictory information about playing music from iTunes files on the TX. The Palm site says we need a 1G expansion card. I read a posting on another site by a Mac user who says that we will only be able to play music from CD's we've purchased, and not from iTunes. I'm leary of buying an expansion card if I'll only be able to listen from music I had three years ago, before I started using iTunes.

I've spent all afternoon trying to figure these things out. It's anything but intuitive, and the Palm online support doesn't seem to address these questions anywhere.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
calirodan said:
-- How do I download a Microsoft Word document into Palm? I dragged it into the "Send to Handheld" app. but I couldn't get the document to show in my Adobereader or Dataviz "Word to Go". Do we have to pay extra for the Dataviz app., or am I doing something wrong?

-- I've read nebulous and contradictory information about playing music from iTunes files on the TX. The Palm site says we need a 1G expansion card. I read a posting on another site by a Mac user who says that we will only be able to play music from CD's we've purchased, and not from iTunes. I'm leary of buying an expansion card if I'll only be able to listen from music I had three years ago, before I started using iTunes.

I've spent all afternoon trying to figure these things out. It's anything but intuitive, and the Palm online support doesn't seem to address these questions anywhere.

I have a T|E and to use an MS file with Docs To Go you have to upload them to the pda via a Datavviz app, same with pdf. I use XP for this as I don't know if there's an OSX version?

To play music on your TX you need mp3s. I use the RealOne app that came with the TE.

Edit: I just downloaded the OSX version of DocsToGo and it seems to work
ok. I snagged the app at the Dataviz site.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Anyone else dying for a Palm T|X in black with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard?? *drool*

The navy blue casing just irks me for some reason... and browsing the web on the T|X would be lovely if it just had a keyboard. I ended up using my Treo 650 primarily because the little keyboard -- even if it's not the best -- was a ton better than using an on-screen keyboard or Graffiti.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I have a TE and thinking about upgrading to a TX for the wireless. Do you have any experience with G2 on a TE, I'm wondering if Graffitti on the two models is similar? Not really interested in keyboard but a black or white model would be nice.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Almost bought a TX an hour ago, seems that tech support and documents say it doesn't support 4gb SD cards, but I brought mine in from home and it seemed to read everything.

I was wondering about the ability to go back and forth from XP to OSX?

Work makes me use the XP, my life runs on OSX.

Anybody swinging both ways here?

What accessories have been most coveted? I'm in medical sales and really want the powerpoint ability as well as contact/calendar management. My pix and movies will come off the Mac.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
I personally would love Apple to release an iPod like Lifedrive device. Storage for movies on a decent touchscreen, widescreen. As a straight out PDA though, I would have to opt for the t|X. It's not much smaller, but the battery is better and it feels more comfortable. I also found while the speed of the Lifedrive was pretty good, it did get annoying when it took a reasonably long time to even open up small files.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
Just bit the bullet, Staples had them with a free after rebate wireless keyboard, so I'm in!
Had a coWorker try our webmail access with the wi-fi and they were able to get their email, to both our surprise so it was a no brainer!
Now, what other cool stuff can I do!

BTW, they say they don't support 4gb SD cards but it recognized and read mine!
I'm off to http://www.datamem.com for more SD cards!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.