Palm wrest discoloration problem 5 times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lfballa, Jul 4, 2009.

1. lfballa macrumors newbie

Hi. After changing the top case of my Macbook white for 5 times because of discoloration problems, I'm freaking out and get here to see if somebody could give me some advice.

I bought my Macbook last November. Each time the yellow spot appears right after 2 weeks and becomes more and more serious and it's really disgusting... However, I don't smoke, I'm very clean, I don't put any cosmetic nor any cream on my hands since the first time I got my top case changed.

I called Apple care and they refused to do anything about it. They say it MUST be due to the contact between the skin and the plastic, otherwise saying, they don't trust me that I didn't do anything that are not supposed to do to my mac. Now I see that some other people have similar problems since the discoloration appears despite the protection of skin contact.

I'm convinced that there's problem under the top case of mac. But the technicians at Genius bar said they know the structure of mac and there's nothing under palm wrest and shouldn't be problem of heat.

Are there still people like me who still have the discoloration problem NOW? (Apple said after the 2006 discoloration problem, the plastic has been changed.)

I really want to know if it's the problem of my mac or it's the one of my skin?!

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Is your skin really oily? I've never heard of a problem like this before.
    (By the way, this belongs in the MacBook section...)

3. lfballa thread starter macrumors newbie

oops, I'm sorry I'm new here and didn't pay enough attention and got in the wrong place.

I don't think my skin sweaters more than the others or more oily than others. I really don't understand why! :mad:

BTW, could you kindly move the topic to Macbook section if you can? Thanks a lot.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

On my Dell Inspiron 6400 which I've had for four years there is a huge amount of discoloration where my wrists have been for almost an uncountable amount of hours. I've used it daily for four years, so I guess it's acceptable to have that discoloration. In your scenario I'm not too sure though...

5. lfballa thread starter macrumors newbie

If I have the problem in 2 years, I won't even come here to complain........ but the problem is that it's in 2 weeks!

6. Benjic macrumors regular

Get a moshi palmgaurd or an invisible shield. Problem solved.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I would suggest the invisible shield. I like them a lot...

8. lfballa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! Just one more question, in case the keyboard still becomes yellow, is there any way to clean it? cos I saw invisible shield doesn't cover the keyboard.

9. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

Man, I screwed my top case 5 times because I had to clean it every ****ing week! So, in 2 years, I dropped some water then it burned...

Thats the reason I sold it - bought for the 5th time a new topcase - and bought myself an unibody macbook.

I am in Brazil and here any Apple product costs 3, 4 or even 5 times more expensive than in USA. Imagine you that I couldnt afford any more top new top cases!

White Macbook is cool, charm, blablabla. But seriously... I wanted to USE my laptop, not to make it my "personal barbie doll".

I dont know how much money you have, but I really recommend you to buy the unibody model.
    Hope that helps!

10. lfballa thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems I'm not the only one who had this problem...Well my macbook has only 7 months old and I'm not planning to change it right now...Might be interesting for me in 2 years.