Palmcorder not working with iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by phatkhatt, Jun 14, 2008.

1. phatkhatt macrumors newbie

Hi. Please forgive me if this has been posted anywhere already. I did a quick search and found nothing.

I have a Panasonic palmcorder VDR-D250. Tonight I painstakingly tried to edit my videos via usb hooked up to the camera in iMovies. When I plugged the camera in, a disc icon popped up on my desktop. Nothing loaded into iMovies as the tutorial showed it would. When I tried to open the files on the computer from the disc I got an error message saying that they were not video files.

Is this camera compatible? Why can't I get it to work with iMovie? The software that came with the camera is very difficult to use.

I use two types of discs for the camera - DVD-RAM and DVD-R.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iMovie supports taped-based mini DV and HDV camcorders with FireWire ports. It also supports a few specific models of non-tape camcorders, which are listed on Apple's iMovie website.

Because you camera is not tape-based and not on the list of supported non-tape camcorders, you have a couple of options. If you have a tray-loading optical drive, then you can transfer discs from your camcorder to your computer. There, you may use software like Handbrake or VisualHUB to convert the video into an editable format.