Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
Hi

Does any of you, use a palmguard on your macbooks? Wondering if you like'd them or not, and why? Do they heat up the machine, or is that just a silly thought, 'cause it's only a thin layer?

Thanks for your replies :)

Kalafut

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
pocatello
Hi

Does any of you, use a palmguard on your macbooks? Wondering if you like'd them or not, and why? Do they heat up the machine, or is that just a silly thought, 'cause it's only a thin layer?

Thanks for your replies :)
i've never used them, but i think the whole heating issue is a silly thought cause ad you said its a thin layer and the only thing they would cover is the hard drive, and my hard drive doesn't generate alot of heat anyways.

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I bought the one from the Apple store for my blackbbok. I also got the trackpad and button film. I just got tired of the dirty palm prints all over.

Now if there was just a nice film for the outside of it.

grpaul349

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Marware

I've had a Marware Protection Pack wrist pad on my macbook since Day 1. I replaced it after 18 months (it was wearing out) and when I pulled it off the underside was like new. They're inexpensive and worth the price.

pazreal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
I think as the plastic on the top case evolved the palmgaurds have become increasingly unnecessary. Original MB had staining and other issues but the new ones (I have a newer one) seem really solid and resistant to that sort of thing.

Zadiek

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Raymore, MO
The moshi palmguard is really nice. I am very satisfied with mine. It is a very thin layer of hard plastic. This keeps your macbook palm rest free of staining, dirt, and scratches. It is also comes in a nice pure white color that matches the keyboard. As for heat issues...they are non existent since the macbook pushes heat out of the vent by the hinge. Hope that helps.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
will the MOSHI palmguard get dirty?

Depends on how dirty your palms are. ;) Seriously though....

Yes, it will pick up dirt (e.g. through grease from your skin) but this is easy to wipe off and something I've barely to had to do.

I go along with what Zadiekand bb10lue said - a great piece of kit!

I think as the plastic on the top case evolved the palmgaurds have become increasingly unnecessary. Original MB had staining and other issues but the new ones (I have a newer one) seem really solid and resistant to that sort of thing.

Broadly speaking, I think you’re pretty much right about this – the changing of the plastic did help to reduce the problem. However, I’ve read people (e.g. on here) who had later models than the MB who claimed they had the yellowing discoloration problem.

One theory that was put forward was that this was caused by a reaction between oils produced from the body and the plastic – no idea if this was true, but it’s a neat theory!

Peteybiz02

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
I put the Moshi kit on my white MB last night. I like it a lot. Comes with a white palmguard, trackpad clear film-type cover, and also a white mouse button cover for $20. Like I said I just put it on last night, my MB is only a week old as of today, but I wanted to prevent any future discoloration. I like the Moshi kit a lot so far, fits perfectly and you don't really notice its there. I say go Moshi. :)

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Hi, Can the moshi palm guard be trimmed....ie scissors, razor, I have a special application that will require cutting about a 1/4 inch strip length wise....(it is for the upper bezel of the screen...I will also need to cut slots for the latch mechanism.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Moshi palmguards are really nice and extremely durable. I think they could be trimmed easily if you need to. The other good thing about them is that I THINK that because they're hard, they distribute the impact of the LCD bezel and probably reduces the risk of plastic cracking.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Thank you pde....I just wrote Moshi to see if they could trim one for me....I have a macbook pro coming but work some where that cameras are not allowed....I am having the camera removed but still needed to cover the hole to make it easier to get through security on a daily basis. The moshi product is the only thing I have found that might look factory if done right....do you think I am on the right track?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Thank you pde....I just wrote Moshi to see if they could trim one for me....I have a macbook pro coming but work some where that cameras are not allowed....I am having the camera removed but still needed to cover the hole to make it easier to get through security on a daily basis. The moshi product is the only thing I have found that might look factory if done right....do you think I am on the right track?

Yes, I think you could do that - either by making a very small piece to cover the hole, or with a larger, longer piece. Probably the small one would work better. Just one word of warning about the silver version - unlike the white and black versions, it doesn't bend well and once you remove it (and thus have to bend it to get if off) it gets weird streaks on it and no longer blends in. You might want to be careful when cutting it and not use scissors, but rather an exacto knife or something like that. If you scissors, it might bend in the process.

Other than that, it really blends in perfectly so I think you can easily cover up the camera hole. When i sold my last MBP, the lady who bought it didn't even notice that the palmguard was on until I told her after she'd already been playing with the machine for a long time.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
great! thanks....hopefully they will cut one for me....but your right that if I end up doing this myself I probably should visit a local graphics store and let them do it....the ideal situation would be for them to make these for the entire bezel surrounding the screen. anyway thanks...your comments were very helpful. Scott

lapetitefurie

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
the Tardis
Moshi v. Marware

Does anyone have any thoughts about which is better? Thus far I'm leaning toward the MOSHI because it includes the mouse button cover and the trackpad cover. However, I'm vaguely concerned that I'll lose some of the sensitivity on my trackpad.

Thoughts?

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
Does anyone have any thoughts about which is better? Thus far I'm leaning toward the MOSHI because it includes the mouse button cover and the trackpad cover. However, I'm vaguely concerned that I'll lose some of the sensitivity on my trackpad.

Thoughts?

I have the Moshi Palmguard and Button cover on my Macbook. The trackpad cover was on less than 24 hours. I didn't care for it at all. Besides the fact that it was clear and looked like a cheap piece of plastic, it felt like you had to drag your fingers across it. It made the trackpad feel real slow and it lost all of it's sensitivity. On the other hand the Palmguard, and Button cover blend in perfectly, and you can't even tell they are on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.