palringo, IM+ or BeejiveIM

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by D0ct0rteeth, Nov 12, 2009.

1. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I've been using palringo and IM+ as well as the skype iPhone app for the last week or two and I want to use one dedicated chat app that supports the skype protocol so I can remove that app as well (especially since skype doesnt support push)

anyone use IM+ or BeejiveIM ?

from what I have seen it looks like the paid IM+ app will work best, but it doesnt have the best reviews lately. Does anyone have any firsthand experience in these apps?

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I like my IM+, mostly cause it has notifications including twitter. Some people say it doesn't look good. But i think it works really well.

3. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Thx Jim;

I currently use tweetdeck for twitter since I can have subgroups (since I have about 15k friends on twitter) Does IM+ support this?

How is the IM+ skype support?

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

IM+ probably edges out Beejive in terms of feature bloat, but Beejive is beautifully designed and works like a charm.

5. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i dont know about skype. And they only reason really to use the twitter feature it to get notifications about when you've been @mentioned or DM'ed. I dont know if it's still the case, but when i bought it, it was the only app to do this.

6. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Thx gloss;

does beejive support skype? I dont see it mentioned anywhere in the app store
    or on their website. It looks like the only app that supports everything is IM+

7. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Beejive for sure. It's a gorgeous app that just works, plain and simple. The push's are extremely fast and reliable as well.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

BeeJive does not currently support Skype, but they've stated that it is on their roadmap. Haven't gotten any more specific than that, though.

9. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I put my money into Beejive. Dont regret it one bit! It works great and is pleasing to the eye.

10. allen099 macrumors newbie

I use IM+, and Skype support is pretty good. It works 85-90% of the time. Other times is just says "connecting". AIM/Gmail/Yahoo work flawlessly though and connect each time. The Skype support was my primary reason for choosing this IM client vs. Beejive. I have no real complaints and would recommend it. Likewise, IM+ does have a separate Skype version for $5, so if you want to save some money, that may be one way to go about it.

11. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I like Beejive and IM+ I give the edge to IM+ mainly for twitter support and beejive customer service is horrible.

12. D0ct0rteeth thread starter macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

13. Zone-MR macrumors newbie

Palringo is testing Skype support and should have it soon. Stay tuned :)

14. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Beejive wins

Beejive for me. I have both but removed IM+ after a week of using Beejive.

The UI is much cleaner and the latest version loads fast. IM+ is bloated with unattractive features (for me) and loads a lot slower. After a push notification, I like to get into the app quickly, reply and then exit. Beejive wins in this regards! It's worth $9.99 and now with the sale at $6.99 you can't go wrong. I just use the free Skype app if I want to Skype.

15. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

I really like IM+ however I've noticed a few times that the background running of the app doesnt always work