panamoric photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ArmyKnight12, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

I've seen those new Windows Vista commercials talking about how easy it is to take panoramic photos. How can this be done with a Mac. Does iPhoto do the trick or would I have to download something? Don't want to buy anything- hopefully there is something free out there.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Do you mean panoramic???

I believe you can get programs to stitch photos together if that is what you mean.

3. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

I use PS for stitching images together.

If you have a Canon SLR, the software that came with it can stitch pictures together.

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

There is an open source program that will do this called Hugin:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Pretty sure I've used it before and it worked fine. Microsoft released a program (for Windows) a little while ago that did panoramics. I was surprised by how well it worked. I believe this was it:

http://lifehacker.com/5053826/microsoft-image-composite-editor-stitches-images-together

I think Hugin requires a little work, though still automates a lot of the process. The Microsoft app pretty much did everything for you. Obviously you have to run Windows, but it definitely was the most simple one I've used.

6. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Photoshop CS3 (and CS4 I'm guessing) has a feature called "Photomerge" under the Automate menu. I've used that and it works fine.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

If you don't want to buy anything there are some very good free programs. it fact the best one is free. But be warned "pano tools" was designed for and by academics researching this area and it is not easy for a casual user to use.http://www.panotools.org/

The easiest to use free tool is on Canon's web site. It's part of the software Canon distributes with their cameras. It's free and will work with any JPG file from any camera

I think most people use Photoshop for this. PS CS3 has a really great photo merge tool. "Photo merge" is the more general terms that covers things like panoramas and HDR and other ways you might want to blend multiple images into one.

8. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

9. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Im gonna go ahead and piggy back on this thread.
    I used PS to photomerge 3 pics to make a panoramic but now I want to print it. But here is the thing, I would like to print it on 3 separate 13x19 sheets (I have a Canon i9100). Whenever I attempt to print it in iPhoto or PS it only allows me to print the center of the image. Is there anyway to print the pano on 3 separate sheets?

10. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Save the image as three different images... 1, 2 and 3. Then crop each image so that they're all 1/3 the original width but cropped to the far left side (1), middle (2) and far right side (3).. then print each image individually.

11. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

13. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Don't believe what you see in that second photo.. Dayton, Ohio is a miserable cess pool.

:)

14. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I would have to disagree. I mean at least compared to Toledo, Ohio; it's not so much.

15. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Anybody know how I can get hold of the Canon Photostitch software? I have a second hand 1D MK II which didn't come with the CD so no software.

16. flinch13 macrumors regular

Best software for this hands down is autopano pro.

17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow.. Autopano pro must be amazing if it's better than PT GUI... that application gets the autostitch perfect 95% of the time.

18. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

There is a thread here for posting your panoramic images, but it hasnt been active since the start of 2006!

Why doesn't everyone post some pictures in there now that we know how.

I just did :D