Panasonic DMC-FZ28 Camera advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lvconquersall, Sep 21, 2009.

1. lvconquersall macrumors newbie

Hi, I own a panasonic DMC-FZ28, Does anyone have advice on taking indoor concert pictures? My photos turn our blurry to dark or to light. It seems when I focas the pictures seem clear, but it's not the case when I view them afterward.

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't know much about this camera (other than it starts out on the wide end at f/2.8... which is good.) I really don't know how high you can set the ISO for usable pictures, but try the highest setting, then the one next down. Keep the aperture wide open at whatever focal length you use, and see what the shutter speed the camera wants to set when you focus on your subject. Concerts can be dark, but often the musicians will be hit with lots of light at times, and if you can meter for that you'll get a much better idea of what shutter speeds you're looking at. Also, since it can be a contrasty scene, try to set the exposure compensation to minus 1 or 1.5 stops, because it will likely try to take the dark areas into consideration, overexposing the main subject in the light. Also, this will give you a higher shutter speed at a given f/stop. Experiment with this exposure compensation as you shoot, and you'll begin to see if you are getting close to decent exposures where it counts. Keep a steady hand, and try to shoot no slower than 1/30sec, faster if possible. Forget the flash if you want memorable pictures. Also, try to catch the action when there's less movement. It sounds as if your shutter speeds are way too low, but also watch any crowd jostling. Try to get up front near the stage, and look for shots from the side of the stage too... That's about all that comes to mind right off the bat... Good luck.