Panasonic GH1: Why?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

When I read the reviews of the GH1, it seems this is a pretty sweet video camera for the price (except with for light). But for stills, it is inferior to Nikon and Canon DSLR's costing $600 less.

I'm wondering what's going on with the marketing here. It's looking like this camera is really for video -- for stills, the consumer would do better for much less money. And it seems like this camera would be much easier to operate as a video camera if it had a video camera body.

So why is it packaged as a stills camera? Is this is a step to later introducing a video camera body that uses interchangeable micro four thirds lenses?

I'm not whining, just wondering what the people here think is going on with the current marketing.

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Probably has a lot to do with marketing. I'm guessing that the manufacturers sell a whole lot more cameras than camcorders ... but with the cheapo camcorders coming out, who knows.

I think the point of the GH1 is that it's a camera first with an excellent video function. I'm not sure that the photos from this thing are inferior to a regular dSLR. I guess if you compared the GH1 to a standard dSLR that uses the same sensor/lens, then you'd get a better comparision.

As for you idea of a camcorder with interchangeable lenses, I'm with you. I love that idea. Now only if they can get it at a reasonable price point.

ft

3. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Panasonic Introduces Ag-af100, 4/3” Professional High-definition Camcorder

PANASONIC INTRODUCES AG-AF100,
    4/3” PROFESSIONAL HIGH-DEFINITION CAMCORDER (Link here).

Weird.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Hello, 2009 just called and they want their thread back. ;)

But regarding the AG-AF100, they slap a 4/3" sensor in it and a promising array of lenses, but screw it all up with AVCHD. I'm just puzzled as to why they can't do DVCPRO HD on this camera....

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think Panasonic is moving away from DVCPro HD and towards AVCHD (lower end) and AVC-Intra (higher end).

Lethal

6. xStep macrumors 68000

If you don't mind applying a hack to the GH1, it performs at video recording much much better than the stock firmware.

This site has been writing stories of the hack; http://www.eoshd.com/
    The guy has also posted sample videos.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, I would hope they'd implement the AVC-Intra 100 flavor in this camera, otherwise its codec would actually be worse than the DVC-PRO HD they intend to replace.

AVC-Intra 50 for example, horizontally scales everything (in other words, not full-faster but admittedly, DVCPRO-HD does the same thing) and has 4:2:0 chroma sampling (versus 4:2:2 sampling on DVCPRO-HD and AVC-Intra 100).

However, given all the indications made by the press release, this camera will be using the same 24Mbps AVCHD codec found on cheap consumer grade camcorders. Oh, Panasonic....

But don't get me wrong. I'm all for the gradual exodus of P2 based media. Expensive proprietary media really hurt cameras like the HVX200, which now has quite a bit of competition in the prosumer market.