Panasonic GS500 - good choice?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by briantology, Jan 19, 2008.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

I'm looking to get a pretty decent camera with good quality. From what I've read, the GS500 is pretty good, although some of the features from the previous GS400 have been dropped. I've kinda been debating between DV and HD, and I'm not sure if I need HD (I would probably go for the Canon HV20 if I did). So does anyone have any recommendations or experience? Thanks.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The Panasonic’s PV-GS500 isn''t anywhere near a "prosumer" camera. It is strictly a consumer model as far as features and benefits go. The typical "prosumer" camera usually starts around $5K.

-DH

3. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't mean 'prosumer', sorry. I would probably go for the VX2100 if I had the money.

4. Markizzal macrumors newbie

I have a Panasonic GS-500, and I love it. I use it to shoot video for my school's live performances and video yearbook. Compared to other miniDV cams, it has great quality. Before buying it, I also had doubts, but not anymore. Check out this review:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS500-Camcorder-Review.htm

Keeping up with the tapes and capturing them into FCP is a hassle. I'll probably go for a hard drive based HD camcorder in a few years.

5. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

See, I don't want to get an HD storage camcorder yet because DV tapes are better as far as retaining the raw video quality, or so I've heard.

6. -DH macrumors 65816

Absolutely!

-DH

7. Markizzal macrumors newbie

Exactly.... have you thought about getting an HDV camcorder? They record HD video onto traditional miniDV tapes.

8. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, that's not what I was saying. I don't want an HDD (harddrive) storage camera due to quality loss. But the thing with HD (high def.) is I don't know if I'll be able to utilize it's feature at the moment.

I really want that VX...

9. coil macrumors newbie

I purchased a number of these panasonics for my classes. Not because they were my first choice but because I could get a number of them for the price of a good DV camera like the VX2100 etc. I have been very impressed with the quality of images that have been obtained with them. One of the most important factors in my decision was that the camera has a focus ring. It's pretty hard to teach rack focus techniques with a joystick!
    good luck
    phil