Panasonic GT50 owners, do you have the same issues?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by WhiteIphone5, Mar 8, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

just received it today, i was on the youtube app and the text looks a bit fuzzy/blurry. for example i was watching a football video and it was on the ESPN channel (Youtube VIdeo) the text on the bottom that scrolls from left to right as it was moving it became fuzzy. I checked on the sharpness and no matter if i decrease or increase it makes no difference.
    when i watch TV via HD SET Top box everything is OK no fuzzy text.
    how do i prevent it? maybe it something with motion smoother or something i have no idea.
    can anyone help?
    also i heard its bad to use VIVID mode is that true?

** tried it on Apple tv, same fuzzy text

* on it was the video, but i have another question? for football what picture mode do i use? for no blurriness?

2. 98EXL macrumors regular

Vivid sucks. Period. Your tv has THX modes, use one of them. Probably your content you are viewing, not the tv, is what is causing the issue.

Get your TV calibrated after 250 hours of use. Did both of my GT 30's....they look like sex

3. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

can you explain what the motion smooth does? What settings or features should I turn off to enjoy football? I used to get motion blur on my last tv. Also how do I get it calibrated?

4. 98EXL macrumors regular

I have everything turned off. I use my Denon 3311 do the video processing for me.

You want an ISF Calibration. Best Buy did my 3 TVs, took 8 hours, with before and after reports

5. Irishman macrumors 68030

Turn off the motion smoothing. Turn off noise reduction, DNR, auto-anything.

You want the purest picture with as little monkeying with it as possible. For now, THX mode is the most true-to-life way to view it.

But the advice to get it calibrated is spot on. Depending on where you live, there are different ways to go about it. Like the others said, Best Buy can do it for $250 usually. Some independent calibrators charge $300-$400, but they travel, and have waiting lists MONTHS long. It's their specialties, and what they do for a living. If you don't mind waiting, PM me and I can recommend some of the top calibrators for you.

The Best Buy guys ARE ISF-certified, and will create an ISF-Day and ISF-Night mode for viewing in both lighting conditions (Yes, it makes a difference as to when you're viewing!) If you have a surround sound receiver and blu-ray player, they will calibrate that as well. It usually takes about 90-minutes to 2 hours.

6. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

right when i was about to PM you, TV turned off, red blinking lights (8 times) :( :( :( :(. just contacted Amazon, I'm returning it and getting a full refund. Not sure if to re-order. the PQ quality is AMAZING, any tv's better than the GT50 around the same price? how about E8000 from Sammy?

7. Irishman macrumors 68030

If they have more, reorder. You just got a lemon.

Just the odds didn't work out in your favor.

Hey, if they don't have another GT, ask if they will give you a free upgrade to the VT50 (their top-of-the-line set from 2012).

You lose nothing by asking. :)

8. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

i bought USED-VERY GOOD from warehouse deals (amazon) but apparently items from them cant be replaced, only offered a full refund. But i received a home theater system from them too and was broken, so i was so mad i contacted their supervisor and he told me it was prohibited but he was going to go ahead and submit a replacement :) Then when i checked the status, he ordered USED-GOOD not Very good, so i contacted them again and guess what? they canceled my order because he wasn't suppose to do that -.-

9. Irishman macrumors 68030

So, what does that mean? You have to submit a new order to get another new TV?

10. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

im returning and getting a refund. I'll re-order because this tv is the best plasma tv I've seen. (haven't seen the VT50 yet)

11. Irishman macrumors 68030

cool! What size did you get?

12. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

55 inches :)))
    got a small room so def this thing takes over the whole room!

13. 98EXL macrumors regular

Had a 55VT30, it was too small.. Got 60GT30 & a 50GT30 for the same price.....still too small for two rooms. Next time, 65GT?? and 60GT??

I just cannot justify the VT cost at this point. **** doesn't matter after a year, and I dont have any RS-232 control, so the best panel for one TV vs. two downgraded ones won out.

I don't think the Samsung plasmas are worth it, I'm a TV snob....Panny or bust!

14. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Sorry about your lemon TV. I have three Panny plasmas in my house, they are just great.

However, I would like to address your original concern.

YouTube videos are never clear on TVs this big. You do not get the option to choose the resolution like you can on your computer. Therefore, you are at the liberty of whatever the "app" pulls from the servers.

Just my experience.

15. JoeBlow74 macrumors regular

This is why I will never purchase big $$ electronics on-line and have it shipped to my house. I lost count on how many time I have had small packages damaged upon arival. If I am going to be spending $1,000 and up on a TV, I will buy local. I need to know that it will not get dropped. I need to feel it and touch it so I feel confient that I can sleep at night. I will pay a little extra $$ for the piece of mind.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Buying local doesn't guarantee that it wasn't dropped. Trust me, I worked at Best Buy for a couple of years and we were never happy the times we had to come in waaay early to unload a truck. I've never had problems with my delivered packages including my GT30 and plenty of other electronics. Perhaps you need to file a complaint about your driver.