panasonic hdc-sd9

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac Addict, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

I picked up this camcorder the other day. Finally got it out of the boxed, charged up and shot so video. Then iMovie crashed every time I tried to import. I attempted to use the USB cable, crash. I also tried off of a card reader, crash. Guess that's the price to pay for the latest & greatest. Any suggestions, or else it's going back for a refund.

2. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

3. Mac Addict thread starter macrumors member

Mac Addict

Yes, on leopard all software is up to date on a 24" 2.4C2D iMac

4. cgingrich macrumors regular

cgingrich

hmmm I just picked up the SD5 and haven't been able to test it out yet, I assumed it would be easy to import, I'll let you know if I have any luck.

5. Mac Addict thread starter macrumors member

Mac Addict

Thanks. I've read on the apple forums that the SD1 & SD5 work as they should but the SD9 has something that doesn't make it compatible with iMovie / FC. Still would like to hear if your attempt goes well.

6. t0ke macrumors newbie

SD9 MACBOOK PRO IMOVIE 08 -> Do not play well together ..

SAME problem here... bought the camera the DAY it was released here in japan ...

STILL unable to import ...

Starts then CRASHES ...

What gives?

Now looking into Voritex (not sure about the exact name)to give it a try as AVCHD importing software...

Tried Final Cut Express as well ... same deal ... start -> then crash ....

VERY beautiful camera ... easy to operate ... gets plenty of stares and wow looks from passersby ... but ... importing is NOT happening ... yet ...

Anybody got a solution ?

A workaround would be ok as well ...

Thanks in Advance ,

t0ke

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

How about importing via an SD/SDHC card reader? Can iMovie'08 import via a card reader?

8. t0ke macrumors newbie

Same deal ... starts ... then crash .

What I have decided to do now is -> copy the entire contents of the sdhc card to a directory I have created called 'High Def' ...

I will leave it all in there with appropriately named folders and wait ... for somebody / anybody (please) to come up with a solution to this 'I-just-bought- a-thousand-dollar-camera-and-can't-do-with-it-what-it-is-supposed-to-do' situation ...
    :(

9. Mac Addict thread starter macrumors member

Mac Addict

Import into Voltaic and convert into MOV is the only work around I've found.

10. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

I'm having the same issues. I've tried it with USB directly from the camera as well as a card reader (expresscard). I've also tried iMovie '08 as well as Final Cut Pro with instant crashes. This is just dandy, especially when review versions of the camera worked just fine on Macs a month or so ago!#!@#!@

11. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

If anyone knows how to read this properly, maybe you can decipher it. This is the crash info from Console after trying to import through FCP:

3/6/08 2:02:57 AM [0x0-0x45045].com.apple.FinalCutPro[509] objc[509]: Class MIOGenericUserDefaults is implemented in both /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/AVCHD.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/AVCHD and /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/P2.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/P2. Using implementation from /Applications/Final Cut Pro.app/Contents/PlugIns/P2.RADPlug/Contents/MacOS/P2.

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Over at Apple's Support Forum, they have a thread regarding this camcorder and iMovie'08. I think the last word was that Apple is aware of the problem is will issue an update to iMovie.

ft

13. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

w00t. That is some great news. Even if they don't fix FCP right away, we can still import into iMovie and export the xml. Hopefully they'll support 5.1 audio too.

14. garehaan macrumors newbie

Same problem here!

Hope they will fix this issue soon.

15. t0ke macrumors newbie

BUMP*** ing my head against a wall :mad:

Still no update...

16. ASDFer macrumors newbie

17. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Perrian doesn't seem to do it for me and I don't want to pay $30 for Voltaic

Anybody else find another solution?

I heard rumblings that the patch should be coming soon but I don't know if my source is credible

18. ASDFer macrumors newbie

So far, I only care for recording in 1080p/24 mode (that's HA1920 and 24p).
    I had Perian 1.1 installed on an (Al) iMac and MacBook Pro. It works for me every time.

19. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

yeah, it only works in the 1080p 24fps (cinema) mode. Still no support for the 60i. grr. I've been using Voltaic in the meantime for the 60i. It adds a long conversion process though. Not cool.

20. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Thanks for the response -- unfortunately I didn't record an event in 1080P mode so that is in a stand still indefinitely -- at least the 24 mode works for now

21. jw430 macrumors newbie

Can't believe this SD9 sill doesn't work with new MAC.
    The sales person told me it works, but of course not.

See you guys got this topic here since 1 Mar 08,....
    waiting...!!

Got to but more SD cards!:(

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I can't offer any work arounds but I can tell you that I use a Panasonic AG-HSC1U camcorder and everything works A-1 with iMove '08.

23. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

Picked one up today, wish I would have read the forums first. I ended up putting down the money for Voltaic, and I am able to import the resulting .mov file into Imovie. Have not tried FCExpress yet, as I still need to learn it...again..

I am ok with doing this work around for now, but would be nice to go direct.

:apple:

24. worldwearyeyes macrumors regular

25. calabasas macrumors newbie

Same Boat...

I have had one for few weeks and just got ready to upload a number of projects. Guess what? iMovie crashed when I tried direct media uploading as well as the USB cable approach. Looks like I need to get Voltaic for now. So much for knowledgeable "sales professionals" at retail outlets. Let me know when Apple has a patch for this annoying problem...Thanks