Panasonic Pro AG-HSC1U compared to Panasonic HDC-SD5: differences?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by RichardF, Jan 1, 2008.

1. RichardF macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I am itching for one or the other but the price difference led to do some research in the differences (if any) between these two camcorders.

The Panasonic support site doesn't have the operating manual for either one.

Here is good review of the AG-HSC1U. It does allude to the HDC-SD1 to say that this "Pro" version isn't really worth twice the money but it doesn't compare it to the HDC-SD5 though.

Could anyone comment about the differences feature-wise please? What makes the AG-HSC1U a "pro" camera?

Also, the alternative is the HDR-CX7. It does not, however record in full HD, 1 CCD as opposed to 3 here on these Panasonics, has no manual focus/ gain and it uses the Sony Memory Sticks.

2. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Panasonic AG HSC1U

We have one and love it. It is small lightweight and has excellent battery longevity. After using it we would never go back to tape based camcorders again - for any reason. I don't know if you would call the HSC1U a pro camera but it certainly gives broadcast quality imagery. It comes with an external 40gb HD which is great for field use. It has its own internal battery. Transfer from SDHC card to the HD is quick and painless. It enables you to continue shooting with just one card. We use an 8gb SDHC Class 6 card and find that is all we need. It doesn't have a manual focus ring which I had hoped it would. But you compensate in other ways. The zoom servo is very nice to use: you can get real slow zooms. We use an 8gb SDHC Class 6 card and find that is all we need.

Haven't shot with the HDC-SD5 so I can't comment on it. The HSC1U is a pleasant upgrade from using mini DV tape. You can view the footage and even perform edits in camera - deleting unwanted scenes instantly. We use Final Cut Express 4 and iMovie '08 and things couldn't be easier. Overall the image quality is superb. Obviously it helps to know about lighting, camera angles, etc. But to the experienced cinematographer, this camera really shines bright. Hope this helped.

3. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

Yes it did; thank you very much for your note.

I am watching what's being put out at CES this year and Panasonic, JVC and Sony all have new camcorders.

Agreed on the tape-less camcorders: I would also prefer that to a tape-based device.

4. RichardF thread starter macrumors 6502a

RichardF

I am disappointed Sony didn't update the CX7 though....