Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
I'm wondering if anybody has tried the Panasonic PV-GS15 camcorder. I've been researching camcorders in this price range (around $500), and this one has some nice features like a 24x optical zoom and a 3 hour battery. However, it's fairly new so I haven't found any reviews of it yet.

I'm also looking at the Sony DCR-HC30, which is supposed to have great video quality, but is more expensive, has just a 45 minute battery, and only 10x optical zoom. I also don't like the fact that most of the controls on the Sony are accessed through the touchscreen LCD... and the tapes eject from the bottom (so you can't change tapes when the camera is on a tripod).

As you can see, there are a lot of things I find wrong with the Sony model... so I hope the Panasonic provides decent video quality, and works with iMovie/Final Cut Express.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Will let you know

I have one on order, I should receive it late this week or the beginning of next week. The feature set looked impressive to me, and once I get it up and running with iMovie, I will let you know about the video quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.