Panasonic SD5 & iMac G5 - do i have to get an intel mac?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mcody, Nov 10, 2007.

1. mcody macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking to buy the new Panasonic SD5 HD camcorder for the forthcoming birth of our first baby. However, looking on the Apple website, It appears that the new HD format AVCHD wont work on a G5 iMac. Do I really have to upgrade to an intel based mac?? :mad:

Surely there is a way around this (i don't want to get a different camcorder either...) :(

any help or suggestions appreciated...:)
    Mark

2. meng8123 macrumors newbie

sorry man, from what i know so far, you only can use AVCHD on an intel mac. But I can tell you that the SD5 is really good, and I love it. You should get it or else you can get the tape based for your G5 mac. My recommendation for tape based is Canon.

3. hh83917 macrumors 6502

Congradulations! I just bought the SD5, Thanksgiving $100 off at BestBuy and comes with a Panasonic DVD burner, for the same reason you are getting it for. Then I figured out that it wont work on my PowerMac G5, which was a big letdown :mad: Now I'm deciding weather to return the SD5 or purchase a MacBook Pro or iMac... I haven't started to switch to Intel yet... The question is, should I buy a Mac now because there might be new Macs coming out in January? I'm leaning more toward a MacBook Pro 17" (with the optional 1920*1200 screen) to edit HD videos, is this a good choice? If anyone know, please comment :)