Panasonic sd9 - avchd and final cut express 4.0

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gtv, May 11, 2009.

1. gtv macrumors newbie

I am about to buy the new 2.66 ghz 24inch imac with FCE, however I have read alot of reviews saying that final cut express can't really handle the avchd HD format from my panasonic sd9 camcorder. Could someone please clear up the situation for me? Can imovie 09 or Final cut express finally handle avchd from this particular camcorder, will the imac be able to run it, and would I lose quality if I used the apple intermediate codec, or should I get something like voltaic, it just strikes me that 1 minute to 12 is a ruddy long time for conversion, wish I had got DV now!!

Thanks for the help, its really appreciated

GTV

2. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I'm sorry, but I think you mean your camera instead of your mac. Or am I wrong. Cause your sentence sounds weird.

3. gtv thread starter macrumors newbie

Edited post, thanks for the heads up, hope it reads clearer now, thanks for any help.

GTV

4. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Well I can tell you that the Panasonic AG-HSC1U camera media works great with FCE and FCP. That camera records in AVCHD. A quick check on the net revealed that it is very similiar to the SD9. Shouldn't have any problems!

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

I have an SD9 and use FCE4. Imports and transcodes to AIC just fine. The only FCE4–SD9 support issue that I'm aware of is that the first five seconds of any clip recorded using the SD9's Digital Cinema progressive mode will be glitchy, but apart from that it's all systems go.