Panasonic SDR-H18

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by wanda, Dec 27, 2007.

1. wanda macrumors member

So i've got a new Digital video camera and thought i could just save the movies from the camera's internal hard drive straight into iMovie but iMovie apparently doesn't read the .MOV file. I tried to download the Mpeg Streamclip but when i dropped a video clip into it it said i had to buy the MPEG-2 plug-in from Apple. If i do buy the plug-in, i'm a little confused...will that just play the video, or convert it to something iMovie can then edit?

I don't know a great deal about video file types, and this is my first digital video camera. I really don't want to use the Panasonic software to edit...you cant even put music over the video...its pretty useless.

Thanks.

Oh, i'm using a MacBook 1.8ghz....OSX 10.4.11...very stock, not a lot of add-on's.

2. tms93ca macrumors newbie

tms93ca

ya man, im having same problem, ive called panasonic, they couldnt tell me didley, ive called apple sevreal times, they were no help.im feeling like i should go take the camera back, but it is a great camera, ive been on sevreal forums, and other people have sugested the MPEG streamclip, and the quicktime playback componeant, i have downloaded boither programs, but am still having dificulty.

im in your same position as far as knoledge of video files :).

any help would be great thanks.

-Theresa

3. wanda thread starter macrumors member

After downloading the Mpeg-2 plug in from apple at 20 bucks, everything works ok for me.

the process is a little cumbersome but better than nothing....i really like the sdr-h18 as a camera so i suppose the extra 20 bucks for the plug in is worth it, i'm just a little disappointed the software that came with the camera was basically worthless, i mean, you can't even add music to it!

what problems are you having specifically?

4. tms93ca macrumors newbie

tms93ca

Glad to hear yours is working great, ya i really love the camera alot. Im just so new to the whole movie format problem and things, im not quite sure the step by step process. im trying to move the files in imovie, but there is no sound, i need to demux the files, but im not sure of the complete process.

-Thanks Theresa

5. wanda thread starter macrumors member

My process has been to do it like this:

Download the video from the camera to the desktop (or where ever you want to put it)

open the video file with MPEG StreamClip

Under the File dropdown menu, export the clip to DV and re-save it on the desktop

Open iMovie and now open the "new" .DV version you just saved on the desktop.

There may be a better way to do it but I'm not smart enough to figure it out.
    Is this pretty much the process you're using?

6. tms93ca macrumors newbie

tms93ca

Wow, Thanks so much, that helped, and its now working, i just wish there was an easier way. Oh well this forum thread will be good for others with the same problem, Thanks Wanda.

-Theresa